1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aerosol on bass without removing the old finish

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hysteresis, Nov 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. My very cheap bass is currently solid black and covered with a "high gloss" finish. I want to personalize it and spray paint some stars and galaxies on it, so I don't want to remove the black paint.

Do I need to remove the glossy finish though? Or just paint over it? Do I need to apply something after the paint?

2. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Pretty sure the paint won't adhere to the topcoat... I'm guessing you don't want to do stickers? I see you're in Romania, but at least check out 'Skin Your Skunk' (not affiliated), online. You can submit a cool pic of any star system, following the instructions to get the correct size skin for your application. I skinned my pickguard, using the 'Relic-Tan' they displayed, and it actually went on really well. The hard (time consuming) part was taking your time during the trimming stage... Good luck!

Plain white pickguard...

IMAG1762.

... to rusted, desert wasteland...

IMAG1843.

3. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I'd say try a couple and see how they do. I would suggest wiping the bass down with napthia or lighter fluid to cut any gunk that would keep the paint from sticking, but it should work.

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I like the sticker idea. Easy to put perfect stars exactly where you want them, no issues with paint adhesion. Also, if/when you sell the instrument, it's easy to return to original.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  5. SonnyBassPlayer

SonnyBassPlayer

Nov 29, 2013
    Italy
    A glossy finish paint won't accept other paint easily. It may stick but will fall off after little time. Sand it lightly (800 grit), paint your stars and galaxies, than apply a new clear topcoat to both protect the painting you did and get the gloss back.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  6. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    This is an intriguing idea; definitely worth looking into, IMO...

This is pretty much exactly right...

Spidey2112 likes this.