1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

AES New Standard Cleveland for Sale

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by bass3139, Oct 15, 2005.

1. bass3139

bass3139 Da Bass!

Mar 16, 2005
    I have a New Standard Cleveland Bass #145 that I would like to sell. It is in excellent condition. I bought it from Arnold Schnitzer about 2 1/2 years ago brand new. I had him install an upgraded endpin at that time and also fit the bass with a Barbera bridge. It has a set of weichs on it and is ready to rock. These sell new for $3800 plus tax and that is without the $500 + barbera bridge and endpin upgrade. There is also a 10 to 12 week wait. I am going to sacrifice and let this bass go for $3195. It is located in Media, PA 19063. I will try to post pictures. Please email jjwalls@comcast.net if interested. Thanks
  2. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    at that price, it's a steal! the new price is actually 3900$! and could easily go up if the dollar keeps falling against the Euro.
  3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    The Euro has been around 120/$ lately but I have seen it hit 135. I think that's a great $ as well. Ever at $3,900, these Basses are great for the Price. Everyone I have tried in his place has impressed me.

BTW, Media, PA is near me as well but I have a Bass or two already.. :) Feel free to come in visit if your'e ever in the area.
  4. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    I have nothing to add other than that I grew up in Media. Great place. Great bass too for that matter.
  5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    If you were closer, I'd be tempted to buzz on up and take a look since I'm in the market for another axe. If you still have it by Christmas break...
  6. bass3139

bass3139 Da Bass!

Mar 16, 2005
    If it is here at Christmas time, it is yours just be sure to contact me. jjwalls@comcast.net

7. If his is gone by Christmas, I would be glad to sell you mine for the low, low price of $6,375.58 + shipping, handling, excise taxes and gratuity.
  8. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Don't laugh...that's about what I have in my Cleveland now! :crying:
  9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    ...and about what I have in my LaScala. :ninja:
  10. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    And about what I put in for my S&D hehe. 16 years of compulsively hoarding money, gone! The great thing is I've never regretted putting every cent I had into one of Arnold's instruments. That says a lot about the quality of his product.
  11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I was just thinking that very thing tonight on the bandstand. It's a rare evening when someone doesn't comment on how great my New Standard sounds. Tonight, I had a guy come up and ask if I was unamplified, and he had a hard time believing it when I said yes.

I know everyone 's probably sick of hearing about our love affair with Arnold and Wil's work. But it's hard to put a price on the experience of playing an instrument this great every night.

There's really only one test that an instrument needs to pass for me; it's that feeling of the bass "vanishing"; that is, it becomes the player's physical voice and places no limitations on the expression of the music that's waiting to come out. That's exactly what happens with this bass for me.

Sorry....another NS love fest!
  12. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Yeah but Mike has the laminate model. He just wasn't happy with the neck that came with it and tried a home custom job. :bag:
  13. Wow. I've never read an endorsement that spoke to me that much. This is the exact description of what I, and probably everyone else, want an instrument to be.

You are one naughty boy, Marcus, you know how to push my buttons! Every time I read a post of yours about your bass, I actually have to make a conscious effort not to drool on the keyboard.

On the other hand, those posts make me save up extra hard for my own New Standard, so maybe you're not that naughty. ;)
  14. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Yeah, I woke up thinking, "geez....I kinda sidetracked bass3139's efforts to sell his Cleveland, getting all rhapsodic about my own experience in the classifieds". But maybe it will help to prod someone ( ;) ) into checking out this bass and treating himself to an early Christmas present. The price is certainly right.
  15. bassame

Mar 25, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    Hi Marcus,

Do you and other New Standard owners of the plywood models find that the bass requires constant humidity during the dry winter months? I have a carved bass which I like very much but I spend a good deal of time filling the humidifier and worrying. I'm trying to simplify my life. Do you and others use a humidifier for your ply basses?
  16. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    Is this bass still available?
  17. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Well, mine's a hybrid, so only the back is lam; the top's carved and the ribs are solid. But in Maui, dryness is never an issue. Winter is pretty much the same as summer here, a bit cooler.
  18. mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Last night a major studio player called last night and he was raving about the laminate New Standard, he's thinking of selling his $50,000.00 Italian and calling Wil and Ahnold....
  19. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    But when did he actually make the call?
  20. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I believe this constitutes another oh-fficial New Standard Lovefest. :D

Or in my case, a New Standard Jonesfest. :help: