Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aesthetics: Do you prefer Fender, or others?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adouglas, Aug 12, 2005.

Aesthetics: Fender or others?

Poll closed Aug 19, 2005.
  1. Fenders rule...nothing else comes close.

103 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. I prefer other designs/shapes.

71 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. I'm ambivalent. Fenders are okay, but they don't stand out.

120 vote(s)
    40.8%
  1. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    The poll I posted on the Bongo's looks has got me thinking about a follow-up question.

Just how traditional are you when it comes to the looks of your bass?

I DO NOT want to know about sound, that's not what this is about. This is simply about the looks of the bass, and yes, I KNOW that looks are trivial at the end of the day...what really matters is sound.

2. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    Can't really take part in the poll, as I positively love the Precision shape, while the J shape always makes me feel someone got drunk and toyed around with the band saw.

This was just presonal preferences, right?

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

(Jumps on the phone to Bill Conklin)

"Hey Bill, I got this sweet idea for a 7 string!!!!"

:D ;)

4. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Yes, personal preference... but that's a clear vote for Fender. I didn't distinguish P vs. J.

My suspicion is that a large proporotion of bassists prefer Fender shapes over all others. That's what I'm trying to find out here.

5. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I've liked the shape of Fender Jazzes over anything else since I got my first one (wish I still had it!) forty years ago. I still feel the same way.

6. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I like the Fender Jazz shape, however I like some of the modern shapes that are based of the Jazz shape even more.
    Such as this: (Alembic I just purchased and is on the way :hyper: )
    [​IMG]

I also like some of the more odd shapes. Like Warwicks, and this Dano Hodad:

[​IMG]

Lastly, some of the simply modern bass shapes, like me Electroline:

[​IMG]

7. I like the look of J basses, but I prefer somthing a bit more... curvey. My favourite shape is the Spector NS and Warwick Streamer shapes. I'm really diggin these custom singlecut basses like Beneventes too...

I would own a Jazz though. Just not my first choice.

8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I voted for "Fenders rule," because there wasn't a selection representing my real view: Fenders (and good clones) generally look best in rock bands, but I'm open to other designs, some of which are very cool.

For example, I think my DiPinto Belvedere semi-hollow has just as much rock mojo as my Fenders. I also like Gretsch hollowbodies, Rics, Matt Pulcinella's original designs, T-birds, and of course there's the totally bitchin' Stealth Bongo. Talk about mojo!

9. Others, like this:

[​IMG]

...and... this:

[​IMG]

Among Fenders, i like the jazz body.

10. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I guess I'm just old school but nothing looks as good to me as the P and J body shapes. Alot of boutique basses look really goofy to me.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I enjoy the Fender shapes well enough, I guess. Nothing against them or for them, really. Now, asthetically, where I get tripped up is the woods. I generally dislike wood tops, and prefer solid colors; I end up disliking a great majority of custom and high end basses as a result. Well, dislike is a little strong: they're pretty to look at, but I'd feel weird using it.

Shape wise, I can take or leave most shapes out there. If it met my playing criteria, I'd play a Warlock, or similar wild shape.

12. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    If you look at it that way, It's a clear vote against fender. I have always much preferred shapes other then fender, but I still love the P shape.

I'll vote now :)

13. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

some of the basses i see here on TalkBass make me wanna spend money ...
    more than my wife { or my checkbook } will allow !!

multi-stringed things of beauty , multi-layered woods from exotic countries ...
    gold , black , chrome and even wooden knobs
    !!

but yeah , at the end of the day , when all is said and done ...
    gimmie a Fender .

14. Its funny you mention woods, because thats somthing that I think affects my view of fender. I'm a fan of attractive woods like finishes like flamed maple and bubinga pommle, if you could get a fender bass made from the wood of your choice that would be sweet.

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I love variety... I'm really happy that there are so many interesting designs out there. It would be so boring if all basses looked like Fenders. That said, I'm a blue-collar bassist so I'm a little more comfortable gigging with a traditional Fender design. And speaking of comfort, Fender ergonomics haven't yet been beat IMHO.

On the other other hand, I'm very much looking forward to my DHuff Z5 bass that'll have this wild shape:
    [​IMG]

16. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I must admit that I never have liked the traditional Fender shape.
    I prefer a more carved body with a natural or a clear gloss finish instead of paint.
    Hey, that's just me. To each their own!

17. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    No, that's me too. :)

Marshall

18. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

my Warmoth Jazz is made from Koa and Zebra wood ... not really
    a Fender , but still the same body shape .

it would be nice to see Fender stretch a little , and start using some
    exotic woods to build production basses ... but i guess that would
    drive prices too high for the average bass player .

Attached Files:

19. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I like all Fender shapes, 4-string Stingrays (their design is just perfect, the fivers don't always look good, though, in my opinon), Les Paul-style basses, Wal Mach 1s, Explorers, Thunderbirds, Les Paul- and SG-shaped basses, G&Ls (particularly the ASATs), some Status shapes and Marleauxs. The only "modern" singlecut I like is probably the Fodera Beez.

20. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I don't care much for the traditional fender jazz style body shape. Too big and awkward, and kinda boring looking. I tend to prefer most of the high end basses (for looks and tone). Stuff like Zon, Alembic, MTD, F bass, Status, etc.