1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aesthetics!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brentonkim, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Placement #1

15 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Placement #2

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. brentonkim

brentonkim

Mar 10, 2009
    Austin, TX
    So, I decided to buy a thumb rest to put on my Spector Q5, and so I'm deciding where to put it? I have two places circled, help me choose!

IMG_0794-1-1.

IMG_0795.

Also, it is reasonable to have a pickup cover on the bridge pickup? haha

Why would you be resting your thumb below the strings ?

3. brentonkim

brentonkim

Mar 10, 2009
    Austin, TX
    It's just the placement of vintage fenders, if they have the thumb rest. haha

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Aesthetics mean nothing. Form should follow function in the case of a thumbrest. Do you actually use one? If not, don't worry about it.

Here's mine:

14656_1177104549124_1273437077_3042.

5. If you actually want to use it, 1.

If you're just putting it on for the look, don't.

6. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Both places are for different styles,1 is for playing close to bridge fingerstyle,2 is to play with your thumb as a pick like Sting does.

If you're asking where to put it,I assume its only for looks though,so try a double sided tape and see for yourself where you like it more.:)

7. Jheake

Jheake

Jan 21, 2010
    Gilbert az
    14656_1177104549124_1273437077_3042. [/QUOTE]

Sorry i love the trogdor sticker!!!!!!!! didnt really care about the thumb rest as i wouldnt put one on a spector, but hey different strokes for different folks

+100

8. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I'd put it in between the pickups on top. But that's just me.

9. Huge +1.

Why the hell would you be putting a thumbrest on a bass if you aren't using it? Thumbrests go on basses to serve a purpose.
    Which position to choose depends entirely on whether you need a thumbrest or a tugbar. If you need neither than you should not add a thumbrest!

Also, your number two position is in a totally bizarre location/angle. I can't imagine ever having my fingers there when I was playing.

Here's mine btw:
    4176076296_e7c51170a6.

10. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    I find it more useful between the pickups, so that the thumb could stay at the same height as when on them.
    Place #2 just won't look good in a modern-looking instrument imo. Plus it's useless.

11. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    #1; I find that placement far more useful than on the treble side of the instrument.

In addition, I think it's important to experiment with the mounting angle. I've mounted them angled like the ones on Phalex and line6man's basses, and they just didn't work for me. I like mine straight, like this:

Relic1.

It's pretty individual, IMO. Before you drill holes and screw the thumbrest down, you could try sticking it down with double-sided foam tape, and see what you like.

Good luck with it.