Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AFFECT OF ROUTING ON TONE

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by luknfur, Mar 12, 2004.

1. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Is there any known, consistent correlation between change in tone and removing wood from a body during routing. In other words, as an exaggeration, say you have a single J shaped bridge pup and throw in a pair of MMs. Any input on the affects of that on tone resulting from the routing alone.

I posted this under a seperate title and got no response after several days which strikes me a bit odd so I thought I'd change it up some and see if it takes. Or maybe this thread just sucks?

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    The tonal effect from pickup changes would be from the pickups. What little effect the actual routings would have is miniscule.
    If you, for any reason, decide to keep the original single J, and just rout out for double MMs, you are plain mad, of course. :eek: And tone will change some, more due to changed stiffness of the backbone, than lighter body.

A more interesting question is the tonal impact of dimensions and shape of the "sound chambers" of a hollowbody. It is also a big issue, because it contains some absolute impacts, and a mouthful of relative. E.g. chamber dimensions vs. outer body dimensions, weight of "top" and "back" vs. weght of material taken away, etc. :help:

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    The J / MM was actually only for demonstrative purposes, painting a picture of some relatively serious carving. The proposed plan is actually crazier. I'm primarily wondering what are my chances of trashing the existing tone of my bass by routing a channel that would accept various pup configurations. I"ve already done this to a test bass but it was recently acquired and I didn't even play it before surgery. At the time I was just interested in pup swapping with it and the affect that routing might have on the tone of it was no concern. One step at a time thing. Routing is not my idea of a good time so I'm kind of taking an Evil Knievel shot at this one but I thought I'd ask around first.

The acoustic realm is a bit over the top for me.

================

"We need more fruitcakes in this world and less bakers." (Jimmy Buffett)

4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    When you take away material form the backbone like that, you are likely to take away sustain/add attack and thump, stuff like that (words hardly covers tone, do they).
    Real tonal change, as during long notes, will not be recognised in the shadow of the changed pickup placement/type.

Not bad for 2cents, ya think? ;)

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Actually I'm often shocked by peoples ability to express tone accurately using words. Maybe it's because I'm becoming more familiar with the terminology myself. For example, your choice of the word thump, cause the bass in question is an exceptional thumper.
    I can't imagine it becoming more so. But the thought had occured to me the tone could actually become more to my liking from the routing. One thing I definitely liked resulting from routing the other bass was the drop in wieght. A half a pound or so is quite noticeable. And the bass itself has decent tone.

2 cents on credit, steal of deal.

6. jsp5107

jsp5107 Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    If I route out a chunk of wood for installing a hipshot tremolo system, how would that change my tone.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    From what Suburban wrote and what I've read in doing a search (what little there is), it shouldn't be noticeable. You'd probably notice more from the bridge change itself if has a different mass or material from the exisiting bridge. That's my guess. I haven't routed my bass yet but I'll routing this week. 3 or 4 basses alltogether. If it doesn't change them, extremely remote chance yours will cause I'm taking out a large percentage of the body mass that's inline with the strings.

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Done deal. I routed several basses with a 4 1/4" X 6 1/2" swath below the strings so I could throw any pup configuration in. If it's affected the original tone of the bass, I can't tell it. But the basses are a good pound lighter, and that I can tell.

For what it's worth.

9. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Syberslack
    Good for you man. I just routed on my heavy maple mighty mite P-bass body and it makes a difference in weight. Aint no way im gonna lug around an all maple body with no modifications. If I could do it, I would turn loose some termites and put 'em to work inside the bass to eat some wood out, but they might eat through the finish and then I would have to get rid of em...

Yeh, one of my major bass criteria is weight. Don't play anything over 8 1/2 pounds max. These weigh in at 6 - 7 pounds now. Sweet.