Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

affinity-p upgrades

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by glwanabe, Apr 23, 2002.

1. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    I would like opinions on the best way to spend one hundred bucks in upgrades on my axe. currently have bought a Gotoh 201 and roto's. Strings dont count in the hundred though. We got 80 bucks left lets go shopping. pots,wires,pups,pickgaurd,nut?
    The tuners work, so I am not looking there. I am considering spraying the neck varnish to match am ser basses kinda like the thick poly job.
    Limiting to a hundred cause spending much more puts us into MIM new territory.

2. Plop on some pickups. Anything would be better than what's on those. Price wise, Fender Vintage '62s I think are the best deal.

3. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    thanks for the reply, of the different pups I was gonna go with the 62's. Put the Gotoh and roto's on last night, WOW what a difference, what was okay before has now turned into some serious tone. Will have to get used to the strings,they feel very different but I like the sound.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Is it really worth it to put an $80 pickup on a $150 bass?

I've checked out the Squier Affinity P basses. Their tone is quite good with the stock pickup, IMO.

I met a 15-year old who had had one of those for a while, and he told me the major problem was that the tuners and the pots were giving out. I'd invest on those first.

If your bass has no problems right now, I'd leave it well enough alone.

5. I agree with Big Wheel here. I was thinking of upgrading my Kramer Baretta in the near future, but I realized that if I have become a good enough player to warrant a better-sounding-and/or-playing bass (which I haven't lol), then it might be a better idea to save for a MTD Kingston, and then upgrade an already-solid bass if needed.

The amount it would cost to make a Squier into a pro-level bass is far too much to warrant going through with it IMHO. For example:

1) Badass II bridge
    2) EMG-P pickup (remember, the tone wood on the Squier is less than top-notch, so I'd use an active pickup because their tone depends less on the body wood than passives)
    3) Hipshot tuners
    4) New volume and tone knobs
    5) A Warmoth P neck (the Squier necks, although not bad for the price IMO, aren't nearly stiff enough)

That will all add up to MUCH more than the bass itself costs, and you end up keeping almost nothing stock anyways.

6. GTR.. even thicker than a badass.. $ 30

EMG select... $ 35

Some tweaking on the old tuners. $ 0

2x 250k pot - $ 4
    .047 uF capacitor - $ 0.10
    20cm of wire - $ 0.50

My BulletBass's neck is WAY better than the one on the MIM fender..

Why go with stuff of which 70 % of the price is for the name.. cheaper alternatives are here !

7. Umm.... the Squier Affinity's are solid Alder. Which last time I checked was a great tone wood.

8. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    rock block guitars in nashville have a bill lawrence p pick up for 25 bucks if its still there

9. i ran a thread on this before.....i bought my daughter an affinity p. shes been digging in and staying with it so i decided to give it a setup. i figured the initial torture of a factory setup, right off the wall of the store would be good for her at first. high action, etc. the only money i spent was on a set of ghs boomers, light gage. when i say setup, i mean setup. @.014 at 8th fret , intonation, decreased the relief of the neck, kept the stock bridge, adjusted the action. checked and tightened all hardware,.....this bass amazes me. ive got alot of basses. for example,....a sting, a mim jaz w/ am std pickups and badass 11, & ghs exstatic light gage strings, a 69 jazz all orig, schweet,...an all orig 1986 warwick thumb w/ the orig hi mass bridge emgs and the good old 2 band eq, a really nice swamp ash am std jazz with a maple board, which is an incredible sounding bass, also a 62 rip bass. believe it or not ive got her squire sounding better than my 62 rip!! im pissed,...although i do love the c neck on my 62 rip. dont underestimate the affinity, if you find a good one,......and to boot its avery good bass to knock around due to its price, AND ITS LIGHT!.IM A GEEZER!

10. I've got an Affinity P bass. I've put in better pots, like the MIA Fenders have in them. Instead of a bigger bridge, I added a bridge cover. Didn't effect the tone, but greatly lengthened the sustain. For appearance purposes, the bridge cover looks better than any bridge ever could. I love the tone I get from my stock pups, so I left those alone. I also swapped the stock white pickguard with a matching black guard. The tuners are fine. I oiled the gears, and tightened up the screws.
    I've considered upgrading pickups to either the '62, or the 1/4 pounds, but since I like the tone as it is, I left them stock.
    I've played my Squier next to several other Fenders, both MIM and MIA's, and prefer my Squier over ALL the MIMs and most of the MIAs. For the price I've paid, and for what I've put into it, I've got a killer bass. I have found nothing wrong with it, other than the wimpy pots.

11. i've got pots with 41 ' clicks ' in them..

what are 41 'clicks' ? well for instance.. a balance-pot has 1 'click' ( dent ).. mine have 41 small dents in them.. very solid :D

12. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    thanks for all the suggestions, i didn't think I could really make a pro bass, ok maybe I did. I have been working on the setup and fine tuning. Roto's really lose that initial bite fairly quickly, also the tuners don't seem to have a specific oil hole, who has any suggestions short of dropping oil in the top of the tuner where it will contact the head wood.
    One big positve is that when I had all my strings off the neck made a popping sound from the truss rod the neck is now much straighter as if the neck has settled, the truss rod does not seem to have broke. Also what is considered a tight neck to body fit, at the sides of the neck and at the bottom. thanks for your replies
    Oh yea,
    AS (insert your bass god here) MY WITNESS
    I WILL MAKE THIS A PRO LEVEL RIG!
    It's not really money, it's a credit card

13. I am not an idiot, like many of you seem to want to say...

The Alder body in a Squier is not even remotely of the same tonal, visual and strain-resistant quality as the Alder body in a Hanewinckel, for example. This is a fact. Who in their right mind would expect it to be?

Allodox: You are partly right; I might have overestimated a little. And I 110% agree with you in that you can make improvements to a squier bass that can make it quality, all for not an intense amount of money. But:
    1) The EMG Select pickups are TOTAL CRAP IMO.
    2) There is NO WAY you are going to make me believe that a Squier neck is stable and substantial enough. I have played many Squiers, and the neck, although a decent deal for the money, IS NOWHERE the quality of a Warmoth neck, which is stable, sustains well, and has a general solid feel.

I agree in that improvements can be made, and I am a big fan of upgrading basses. But at what point does it become detrimental to your bank account, time and patience?