Affliction

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Egg250, Sep 27, 2022.

1. Egg250

Egg250

Jan 10, 2022
    Hello. My name is Craig. And I suffer from bass face.

Seriously. No matter how I try to smile, look like I'm enjoying myself or groove to the music...my face returns to something resembling a scowl or glare. I feel my mouth pursing up, jaw clenched.

I'm seriously (not really) considering therapy or hypnosis. I'm slowly relaxing. I only hope my "good time face" is less creepy than my bass face.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Just get your Sheldon smile on.
    sheldon.gif

icefly, smogg, JeezyMcNuggles and 9 others like this.
  3. Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  4. 4SG

4SG

Mar 6, 2014
    You're joking. There's Este Haim's bass face, then there's everyone else.
    Haim_emma-McIntyre-COVER-e1558123029150-1280x720.jpg

5. WG Plum

WG Plum Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    Oh, phew, I thought this was a thread about the shirts that guys who use tactical beard balm wear.

Bass face is a completely benign condition and is a side-effect of concentrated joy.

6. Lenny JG

Lenny JG

Aug 3, 2019
    USA
    In pretty much stuck on bass face, but I try and smile at people while I make eye contact sometimes and they appreciate it.
    Pixaloop_21_05_2022_16_15_39_1340000.gif

7. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Me 99.999999999% of the time.
    serious dP.jpg

The rest of the time....
    Smiling dP.jpg

8. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Love My Dogs
    LOL, my face...either awesome note or a fart not sure which it was...lol:roflmao: Copy of Otto Helmuth (69 of 73).jpg

9. There’s so much more to worry about. I think I look stupid AF when playing, but everyone else either ignores it or loves it.

Don’t remove things that make you unique. Just concentrate on kicking butt while playing bass and it will all work out.

10. Rib 13

Rib 13 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Home
    Lol...I literally came here to say this almost exact thing and you beat me by moments lol

HolmeBass likes this.
  11. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    If you feel like smiling helps your performance (not necessarily your playing but how you come across to the audience) then get a mirror up where you practice and work on smiling.
    You can train yourself to do it.
    It's something I work on as well - I know that as an audience member "wow, that guy's really having a great time" adds to the show.
    Andrew Gouche is a straight up monster player - and I'll say that his big grin while he's playing makes it all the more enjoyable for me.
    It also compliments his other bass-faces.

12. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    "That's terrifying!" - Howard Walowitz

two fingers likes this.
  13. roller

roller Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    At least you don't suffer from wearing Affliction t-shirts. THAT would've been a serious offense.

affliction-gsp-2.jpg

14. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

This is usually mine… 0F549AE9-A1E4-47D9-B501-2136A8A0F1C5.jpeg

15. I had someone tell me once, “you must enjoy the upright more than the electric bass“. I answered, “no. In fact I am much more comfortable with electric bass. I only recently started playing upright.“ To which they answered, “ but you smile when you’re playing upright. You look like you are having a lot more fun playing it.“

I had never thought much about my face when I played until I received these comments. It caused me to be conscious of it, so I started checking myself during performances. I think she was right. I think when I play electric base I look like I am concentrating intensely— which can look kind of scowly. but I just cover the basics on upright, so a lot less to have to concentrate on.

as a previous post mentioned, smiling (and stage presence in general) is something that can be practiced, And I think most audiences would rather look at a band that seems to enjoy itself, rather than one buried in the technique of it all.

16. It has affected us all :)
    no bass upload_2022-9-27_12-45-1.png with bass
    upload_2022-9-27_12-46-11.png no bass
    upload_2022-9-27_12-47-51.png with bass
    upload_2022-9-27_12-48-38.png me in Jr high school thinking about playing bass when I get home upload_2022-9-27_13-0-13.png it can not be fix ha ha ha

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  17. klejst

klejst Guest

Oct 5, 2010
    I'd say Este Haim is pretty much one of the queens of "bass face."

Isn't it funny and convenient the camera ALWAYS seems to capture the wrong facial expressions at the right wrong moments.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  18. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Yeah that’s what I was thinking. Those beadazzled jeans that ghost guy on TV wears. Love it.

19. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Mascoutah, IL
    I don’t have “Bass Face”, but tend to have all the compelling visual interest of a potted plant.

20. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    This guy gets it.
    upload_2022-9-27_11-58-28.png