Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

affordable 5 string P/J?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tuBass, Jun 14, 2003.

1. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I am looking for a 5 string p/j, but need to know some brands to look at. I know about the Lull and others in that price range, but is there a good one that comes in less than $1000?

Show me pics, and tell me what you like about them!

2. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    used rapture PJ5

p deluxe 5... but then its p/MM lol

3. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I don't think I've ever seen a Pedulla witha p/J except for the MVP, which I love, but doubt I could get one in my price range.

I thought the fender P/mm were over $1300, so far they are first choice, but I was looking for other options

4. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
  5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    easy, have one built for you!!

have tommy at USA Custom, or go to the Warmoth thrift shop, and have a neck and body made for you. you pick the wood, the weight, the carve of the neck, the width of the nut, etc. get some of your fav pickups from your fav dealer. go to allparts.com, and grab some Hipshot ultralite tuners, and bridge.

take is all to a trusted tech, and have them put it together for you.

you'll spend maybe $1100 tops, and you'll end up with a bass that's made to your exact preferences!

what's not to like?

6. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I've been spending a lot of time on warmoth's web site this week, and I really like the look of the the carved dinky p bass body, but it's not available for a 5 string. In fac,t the body selection for 5 strings is pretty limited.

I just found USA custom yesterday, it looks interesting, I'll keep checking them out.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    actually,

USA's jbass body is similar to what Mike Lull and Sadowsky do, in that its the same body size as their regular slightly downsized 4 string "dinky" size! very cool.

BUT, make sure you tell Tommy or whoever, the size of your pickups, cause they come standard with the 4 string size that some bass pickup makers use like Aero.

both my bodies recently came back, and they're like that! :mad: now, i gotta send 'em back for a re-route and re-finish. DAGGNABBIT!

8. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I'd definitely lean toward USA Custom at this moment. I say that because they use graphite reinforcements in their necks, and they offer a 35" scale. Warmoth has the 35" scale available only in the Gecko, so your choice of bodies is limited to one if you want a 35" scale.....and their necks use steel reinforcements, which work great but they make for a heavy neck, which tends to make for at least some neck dive unless you get a heavier body. You basically can't build a Warmoth that is light and hangs right.

BUT.....a guy from Warmoth was on here recently and said that they are working on making graphite reinforcement an option, so you might check with them and see when this might be available.

Don't get me wrong - Warmoth's quality is excellent, and I own a 5 string built with a Warmoth neck. It plays great and sounds great, and it isn't neck-heavy, but that's only because it has a pretty heavy body. Total weight is about 12 pounds.