Affordable 6 String Recommendations (Hohner, or...?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ampeglb100, Nov 30, 2004.

1. ampeglb100

Oct 1, 2002
    Portland, OR
    So I just got this Hohner 6 String Bass in the mail today off of Ebay. Brand new, in the box, 3 day trial... for what appears to be a few hundred less than what they normally go for. I actually had a Ken Smith BSR6MW a few years back, but hated the tapered string bridge arrangement and didn't really dig the tone, either. I guess for $2400 it wasn't making me all that happy, so I sold it. Since then I have casually looked around for another 6 but more in the "under a grand" catagory - which is pretty damn limiting without buying an Ibanez or a Dean (both of which I don't like). I really like the Yamaha's (TRB6 II, TRB6P, JP, ect), but damn they are a lot new, and used ones seem to slip by. So anyways, I started looking harder and found these Hohner's... It is a pretty sweet six string I have to admit. It is built very well - neck through, good solid hardware, nice neck profile, OK electronics... worth every dollar to me. The one thing I would like to do (if I keep it) is replace the pickups with EMG 40P's (active) and replace the pre-amp. The only thing is the tighter string spacing. I really like the Ken Smith spacing and the neck profile... But I do plan on restringing the Hohner with a higher tuning - E A D G C F, or E A D G B E, or whatever I want, so I am hoping that the smaller string gauges will give me a little more room to play with. So, my question is... is this the best I can do for $425? After I put new pickups in, it will be more like $600 or $625, but still... this thing is pretty sweet for that amount of money. I would be willing to throw down up to $900 or $1000 for something better, but what would that be???

2. I'm sure you've heard of the SX line of basses at
    You should check out the 6 strings there. I think there is a neck through 6er for about $350. These are pretty nice instruments and the money you save can be put towards upgrading the tuners, bridge, electronics to make a super nice bass for well under $800.
  3. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I can't believe you found a 6-string neck-through for that price. Throw some Active EMG's and maybe an OBP-1 or whatever active pre you like in there and that thing will sing!

Definitely a good buy! I don't think you could get anything else comparable for that price.

The only good 6-string under a grand I like is the Spector Legend-6. I also replaced the pickups with EMG 45-DC's and a TonePump circuit to make it thump.
  4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    My first 6er was a Hohner. Excellent bass for the money. I'd echo what BassWhore suggested. Toss in some quality pups and pre and you'll have a pro-level instrument!! Oh, and if they haven't done so since I got mine in 95, I'd recommend changing out the bridge for a "quick-change" type.
  5. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    For sure .... great way to try out a 6 without getting deep in debt! :cool:
  6. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Well, I'm not sure of your budget, but check this out:

Fairly decent 6,7,8,10 strings if you want to go that route...
    Decent basses relatively inexpensive.
  7. Ditto;

Had a 6 string Hohner for a while and for the money it's quite a good instrument. The stock EMGs (mine came with some) were weak, the preamp pretty darn good, way above average. If you replace the pickups you should have a decent axe, and a lot better than that SX or Brice stuff.
  8. the spector I have for sale or preferably trade :) :bassist:
  9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    +1 Yep, that's a good inexpensive 6 string.. In fact I might recommend it more over the Hohner..
  10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you can live with a bolt-on look around for a used or NOS Peavey Axcelerator 6. Made in USA, feel fantastic, sound great, and can be had for cheap. Narrow string spacing though. The new Brice neck through looks nice, too. I'm very happy with my Brice V2 6 fretless.
  11. ampeglb100

Oct 1, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Well, after much trial and error, I am sending this one back (3 day trial/full refund). I just can't make the tight string spacing work for me, plus this thing is a bit neck heavy (dive!, dive!), mostly due to the lighter and smaller body.

So now I am looking at the Ibanex BTB406 and maybe a used Yamaha TRB6. I like the spec's on the Ibanez, but I guess I feel "akward" buying one. I never really thought of myself as an Ibanez kind of guy... Can anyone set me straight? I like the string spacing and the 3 band EQ, plus the ergonomics look good. Any negatives? Any plugs for Yamahas? Any ofher 6 strings under $1000 I am missing (that have wide string spacing)? Those Brice ones look OK, but something smells way fishy about those... Man, I am starting to think that I shouldn't have sold that Ken Smith after all...

12. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Definitely give the Spector Legend-6 a look..... very nice bass and even nicer price... ;)
  13. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    you can find a used peavey cirrus under a grand. I seen them to be had around for 800 lately.
  14. ampeglb100

Oct 1, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I just ordered a natural finish neck thru Brice 6 string. They have a 30 day trial/full refund, so what the hell? I might as well try all the cheaper options before I settle for the more expensive ones. I like the string spacing on these and at least the pickups can be upgraded, as well as the hardware (if need be). For what I need (kick around 6 string to leave in alternate higher tunings, no stage use) I think it should work fine, especially for $329!

I'll let you know how it goes...

15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'm thrilled with my fretless bolt-on V2 6. Don't be surprised or dissapointed if it needs a setup when you get it. Take the time to set it up and it can be very nice if it's like mine. And don't discount the pickups until you've played them a while.
  16. Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I've been looking (See: drooling) at that for a while. I'm waiting to see what you think of it.

17. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yup Hohner makes great neck throughs for the price :)
  18. bassmasta55

Jun 6, 2006
    How about the Washburn XB-600? Is it any good?
  19. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Ibanez SR506. not sure the exact number, but you might be able to get one under $500.