1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Affordable Bass Amp for drop G

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Calm Yourself, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Calm Yourself

Calm Yourself

Mar 1, 2018
    I have an Epiphone Thunderbird IV Pro tuned to G0 D1 G1 C1 (Drop G), with the Rotosound RS66LH+ string set (gauges 175, 135, 105, and 85).

What I'm planning on playing with it involves progressive metal, brutal death metal/slam, goregrind - that kind of stuff. Although great clarity isn't a major requirement (as I want it to feel somewhat muddy), I don't want it to just come out as low fuzzy noise.

I was thinking of getting an affordable amp that really captures the low end, but couldn't find many reliable examples - the Fender Rumble 15 v3 was the only one that appeared a possibility.

I'm on quite a tight budget, so something below £300 would be great! Any recommendations?

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    In before the "What? That's too low! Nobody can even hear that!" folks get here.

My advice is to try to get more specific about what kind of frequency curve will get you the tone you're after. And what kind(s) of effects you'll be using, if any.

The difference between somewhat muddy and low fuzz is pretty subjective.

3. Calm Yourself

Calm Yourself

Mar 1, 2018
    I'll most likely only use overdrive with mid-to-high gain and contour, as I want the bass to stay in the mix and not get drowned out by the guitars. I guess for the higher two strings, I'd want them to be punchier and more mid-range (to stand out), and for the lower two strings, I'd want them to be more bass-heavy to strengthen and thicken the lower guitar notes.
    I see what you mean about the muddy/low fuzz - I mean so the the notes can be distinguishable, but so the frequencies have a slight dissonance to them.

4. Ain't any middle ground between being the low rumble under the guitars and holding your own part if you ask me.

5. Calm Yourself

Calm Yourself

Mar 1, 2018
    I'd go for more the bass holding its own part. Rather than being the low rumble backing up the frequencies, I meant the bass would be distinguishable from the guitars, but the notes would harmonise to create a thicker overall sound.