1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Affordable bass fuzz for a pop band

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Cat-o-matic, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Cat-o-matic

Cat-o-matic

Oct 1, 2015
    Hello fellow bassists!

I play in a pop (pop-rock maybe? I suck at genres) 4-piece which consists of drums, bass, keys, and vocals.

I would like to add a fuzz pedal in order to make my tones more diverse.
    I am looking for a fuzz tone similar to Muse - Time is running out
    What kind of pedal should I look for?
    I would guess more gated, most likely germanium fuzz, is this assumption correct?
    I would also like the pedal to go well into envelope filter for synth-like tones.

I can spare 100-150$ max.

For example, i like Wren and Cuff tall font russian a lot, but it is out of my price range. I also like Earthquaker Devices Erupter on low bias settings.

So, what pedals would you recommend? Any suggestions and comments are welcome.
    Take into account that I live in Ukraine so used market is very limited

Regards,
    Pavel

2. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    If you like the TFR, look into the new EHX reissue of the Russian Big Muff Pi. I got mine for about $65 from Prymaxe.

3. I second this. The EHX Russian Big Muff reissue is super good.

Korladis and zapped777 like this.
  4. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    Walrus Audio Jupiter. That is totally something!

zapped777 likes this.
  5. Grab yourself a used smallsound/bigsound TAFM.

freedomryder likes this.
  6. Earthquaker Hoof. Silicon/Germanium hybrid Muff-style fuzz. They're $175 new, but pretty readily available used for $100-$120.

7. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    While all the fuzzes suggested so far are good, TIRO has a pinched, gated fuzz sound reminiscent of the Woolly Mammoth. Plenty of affordable mammoth clones out there like the Little Bear BS1 and the Mooer Fog. But something more versatile will definitely suit your needs beyond that song's sound =0)

8. Cat-o-matic

Cat-o-matic

Oct 1, 2015
    Thanks for the input everybody!
    Walrus and TAFT are slightly out of reach for me.
    I guess I'll try to get that new reissue by EHX. Could not find a proper bass demo but Andy from PGS made that thing sound vicious and versatile. Just a very thicc sound that makes it ok not having a blend knob.
    The next challenge is to find some shop that ships worldwide i guess :)

9. zapped777

zapped777

Jul 6, 2011
    Go to YouTube and find Bassic Gear Review . Those guys have a ton of useful fuzz reviews including some great muff shoot outs, and some green Russian vids.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  10. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

There's a SuF Civil War on Reverb as low as $130.

zapped777 likes this.
  11. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    If you like the W&C Tall Font, the best affordable option is the EHX Green Russian Reissue.

If you want splatty gated sounds, then the best affordable option is the DOD Carcosa, thats a really versatile fuzz pedal for a great price.

There's also the Mooer Fog that is a clone of the Wooly Mammoth so it gets into the gated fuzz territory.

Besides that, you have a lot of options in the used market.

But honestly, my choice would be the Carcosa. It will adapt to a lot of your fuzz needs for sure.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    blindrabbit, zapped777 and Jakeman like this.
  12. The Carcosa is a really nice suggestion, I forgot about that one. I had one to try this past summer, it was pretty amazing, even without considering the price!

Nunovsky and zapped777 like this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021