Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Affordable, good sounding, compact amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Intrepid, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I need probably a combo amp even though I'm already with seperate cabs...I need something very portable, got to sound unbelievably good, can't cost too much(Below $700 at least) and it doesn't really need to be that powerful...I only play in acoustically sound rooms...so what do you guys recommend...I'm thinking the Eden metro combo, but thats a bit big in size...I really want a 2x10, and a solid-state or hybrid amp...got to be light...seperate cab would probably be best though...

2. jchikhale

jchikhale

Feb 25, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    unless you're set on a separate cabinet, i would recommend an srw workingmans combo. perhaps the workingman's 12. they sound amazing and are surprisingly loud and clear. very nice tone.

my buddies medeski martin and woodish sounding trio played this bar/club and that little thing sounded amazing. i own a 10, but it sounds like you need more that that can put out.

try out the wm12. you'll like it.

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    R600 = http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/Isearch.exe?CFG=2&P2=R600&P1=BA

RL115 = http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/Isearch.exe?CFG=2&P2=RL115&P1=BA

You can get these two on ebay for a combined total of less than $700 easily.

Compact, and sounds good.

There are lots of combo amps that you can get for around $700 or less. The Carvin RC210, the Ampeg B2, you might get one of the GK 210 combos, the Carvin PB100-15 or PB200-15, Fender Bassman 100, 200, 400 ... etc etc This is a wide variety of volume, cost and tone, so do your homework.

Ebay, that's the ticket. :p

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Look into an Ampeg B100R. Seems that just about everybody around here seems to think quite highly of them.

6. Jeb T

Jeb T

Feb 19, 2002
    San Carlos, CA
    Hey,
    I've been using the Nemesis (made by Eden) 2x10 for about two years. It has 200 watts, and you can hook it up to an additional speaker cabinet. It's 45 pounds, and about $600 (I think, I can't remember). The sound is fat and clean. At times I push it, but it hasn't distorted or otherwise freaked out yet.

http://www.edenelectronics.com/NC210P.html

7. Hey Gabu,

You still got your micro amp that you built awhile back?

I've finished the design work and layout on the Peavey Minx 110 makeover, and started the project. It's the standard Minx 11.3 x 15" footprint, but 23.5" inches tall. This gives me enough room to mount a 10" subwoofer and a 6" midbass in a separate chamber. The Minx guts will ride in the top, same as the stock version.

I picked up a bi-weekly coffee shop gig where the Minx is sufficient... and I don't have to haul my bigass rig. Such a deal. I found that 35 watts makes enough noise for a coffee shop gig. Loading up is sweet... bass in one hand, amp in the other, and one trip to the truck.

8. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I heard a friend of mine play his Stingray through a Hartke BX90 or something like that. Bass was at about 1:30, mid at about 12:00, treble at about 11:00. Sounded really nice and it really cut through. HOWEVER, it was a Stingray.

Personally I'd get a Fender 200W bass combo. That'd be good no matter what ya did.

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Nope, I gave it to my guitarist, who needed a small practice amp. It's probably a bit bassy for him, but what the hey... it's free. ;)

Now I use the Fender Bassman 25 as my practice amp, and I am building a small rig for coffee house playing. It's a SWR Bass 350 with a eminence vertical 210. I have the cab, just waiting for the bass 350 to arrive. :D

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

if you've already got a nice small cab, then go with a head unit like Eden's WT400 or Euphonic Audio's iAMP350. i've got both, the Eden for electric, while the EA's for my upright. they both cost about $700, weigh 15 lbs., and pump out about 350-400 watts @ 4 ohms. the Eden has a tube in its preamp stage giving it a nice warmth, while the EA is all solid state fostering a nice punch. great little tone monsters.

Or, you could also try an Acoustic Image Clarus. its a small box about the size of a bible that weighs maybe 5 lbs. great little box designed primarily for acoustic uprights, but sound surprisingly nice for electric bass too.

if you want small, light, affordable, then definitely check out GK's M150 series. with a built in 12 in. in a package that weighs less than 20 lbs. If its good enough for Charlie Haden and Dave Holland, its good enough for me.

out of all the small, compact amps, i looked for these were the best in terms of tone and size.