1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Affordable Pre-amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pesticle, Apr 11, 2002.

1. im looking for a cheap pre-amp... but since it's the first time i've needed one i have no idea what is good and what is bad. i want something thats rather basic but isnt very low quality. thanks

2. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    Does it have to be rack-mountable? You might try the SansAmp BDDI or the Dunlop MXR 80 preamp/DI pedals.

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Used Peavey Max can be found for <$200.

Used Yamaha PB-1, Maybe <$100.

I've seen these pop-up on eBay from time-to-time, but I don't remember seeing either in the last day or so...

4. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I second the Yamaha. I run the PB-1 in my set-up. It's simple(tonally), yet has all the features(FX loop, X-over, headphone out, 1/4" and XLR w/ level control) otherwise it's a 3 band EQ w/ one more parametric band(footswitchable IN/OUT) built like a tank, great tone for a solid-state preamp and super-duper clean sound. Can't say that for the fuzzy Peavey preamp I had once. If it died I would look for another. IMO, price for sound can't be beat. The stompbox pre's are a good idea also.
    K