1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Affordable Rickenbacker copies

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BjornStravinsky, Sep 29, 2009.

1. BjornStravinsky

BjornStravinsky

Sep 23, 2009
    Are there any good Ric copies around? I'm not necessarily looking for 100% reproductions like the Grecos offer, but I'm just looking for something that captures that awesome vibe, like the Tuscany Bird series. I don't care if they're used or new, but what goes for sub 1000$?

2. You could always go for a used Ric 4001. I've seen those for under a grand.

3. shine make one, it's in their professional bass series and plays amazingly. I had a go on one today, they have the seymour duncan ricky replacement humbucker pickups and they make the bass growl amazingly, they look pretty close too http://www.saein.co.kr/2007/model03/10/rk2000nt.jpg

4. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    +1 on that. My advice is to find yourself a $1000 second hand 4001 or 4003. It'll probably have a few dings at that price but it will be a true Rickenbacker. The copies will resemble a Rick in appearance only.

5. I'm no expert, but I got really excited seeing that price. It is neck thru. And, it is a ricky copy.

6. stephenq

stephenq

Jul 23, 2009
    Kansas City
  7. I think you should go for a used 4001. It's an actual Ric, not a copy, and it'll only run you a grand.

8. stephenq

stephenq

Jul 23, 2009
    Kansas City
    indeed

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 get a real one. No Ric copy will ever do, really.

10. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Oh to find a used one in America.....I'd love to play one to see what it's all about. Though I'd bet it is no substitute for the real deal, shine use the aftermarket Ricky pups, it has to sound close to the real thing, right?

I will be buying a Rick soon enough (well not really as last week would not be soon enough) but I would like to play a few of the copies and see how they stack up.

11. Kestrel

Kestrel

Sep 21, 2009
  12. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Where can you get a used Ricky for under $1000? Sign me up!

13. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    The japanese copies I've seen have mostly been very good instruments.
    Then again, I'm not a Ricky purist.

14. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Eh, I couldn't honestly tell you how mine compares tonally to an actual Ricky, not having one to directly compare through my rig, but I gave someone a recording of it once, and they mentioned that the bass sounded like a Ricky, before I had said what bass I used.

I can tell ya it sounds pretty damn good.:)

15. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Meh, I got my copy, and lost gas for a real one completly, but then it was never my no. 1 gas.

16. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    hahaha, indeed!

Shame they don't look as good as the Ricky bridge, but then, given the choice, I'd pick function first.

17. Oh me too. Those Ric bridges are a bear to intonate. Bet this one would be really cool with some Darkstars. :)