1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Affordable semi hollow bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheFenderBender, Jul 17, 2012.

1. TheFenderBender

TheFenderBender

Jun 27, 2012
    I am looking for one thats nice and plays well but isnt a high price.

2. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I love my Ibanez Artcore AGB-140. It cost me $299 + tax, but I've seen them go for less (all used pricing).

I like the positioning of the pickup on it. It's slightly closer to the bridge than a P-Bass's is. Mine has an SGD ND-3 pickup in it with a coil switch. I went with the ND-3 because it was unusual but it would drop right in. David was a pleasure to work with.

My Artcore is cool because it's mostly maple, so it has a lot of punch (OK, just my opinion) yet it's light because it's semi-hollow. It's got a nice "retro" vibe to it. Bonus points to Ibanez for doing a set neck, an arched top and the binding yet managing to keep the price fairly low. The action and intonation are very good. It's a really playable bass.

All that said, it still sounds a lot like a solid body to my ear. I was expecting something different than I got. Which is not to say that I'm not thrilled with it. It's a very cool bass at a very good price.

KO

3. TheFenderBender

TheFenderBender

Jun 27, 2012
    Sweet, my 1989 squire 2 has a solid body maple, but it weighs a ton. I want something that can can sound like both but be lightweight and affordable.:hyper:

4. eagle67

eagle67

Nov 12, 2010
    Epiphone Allen Woody is a nice bass

5. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Epiphone Jack Cassady.