Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Affordable Studio Monitors for Consumers?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Sep 13, 2004.

1. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Hello all, I'm in a need for new PC Speakers. I actually do some recordings on my PC, so I would like to get some Studio Monitors. My budget is around $300-500 for a pair of good quality studio monitors. I was looking in to the M-Audio BX5, or BX8, but I hear that they are really stertile/cold sounding. Obviously, thats what you would like to hear from a Studio Monitor, but I wonder if there is anything out there that could be possibly better for the budget. I also hear that the M-Audio's are really weak in the low end. They're more of a midbass and up.

If anyone has any other recommendations, please post them!! I would like to see them!!

D :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I like my pair of Spirit (by Soundcraft) Absolute 2's (passive). Balanced, big sound and decent bass (6" drivers). I don't know what the pricing on them are in the US, or if they are available at all.

EDIT: Oops, just read this on their website: "Please note that this product is not in current production, and is no longer available from Soundcraft." Kinda rules them out, I guess. :meh:

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Thanks for the suggestions!! Anymore?!?! BRING THEM ON!

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Probably not the suggestion you're looking for, but... I recently bought a pair of Etymotic Research ER-4 in-ear phones - mainly to use with my iPod, but with these thoughts also in mind: My current band doesn't use in-ear monitors, but knowing I'd have a good set of earphones that would work if the need ever arose was a bonus. The fact that they are widely praised for their reference-quality sound made them a natural choice to use on my own computer-based recording dalliances. They list at around $330 but you can get them for about $100 less if you look around. Fantastic sound, extremely revealing (insert stories of hearing new things in songs you've listened to for years), and very multi-purpose. I use my regular computer speakers (Altec) for general listening, and the ERs for critical tweaking and mixing. Works well for me.

Worth a thought, perhaps... :)

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Thing is, if you're picky about "proper" (subjective term, I know) stereo imaging in your mixes, it's hard to pull off that stunt with headphones alone. Reason being, when you listen to a pair of speakers, you pick up the left speaker with your right ear and vice versa - something you don't with headphones.

But if your ambitions are modest (i.e. you're not looking to get "pro quality" mixes, which is something most home hackers won't get anyway), a nice pair of headphones works just fine. Beats the hell out of any consumer-grade computer or cheap hi-fi speakers! (IME)

I've heard that the Event 20/20's should be good value. Maybe something to try? OTOH, I've heard raving stories on the Mackie HR824's as well, which I personally didn't care for at all (gave me an impression of having scooped mids and hyped treble).

6. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Yeha I've heard the same about the Mackie 824/624's.. they're also like in the $800-1000 range as well :eek:

My singer has informed me of this

behringer truth B2031A

I wonder how those are. He said they're around $300-350, and fromt he specs, I think they'r pretty damn hot!!

7. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I would have to place myself firmly in the hack/novice camp, but I'd make the observation that the most important reference speakers I have are the cheap stereo speakers in my car. That's the true test when I'm "mastering" and I will often burn a preliminary copy and go listen in the car. In terms of stereo imaging, I'm looking for nothing more sophisticated than finding that middle ground between "sounds flat and lifeless" and "sounds artificial and annoyingly separated." Between earphones and my desktop computer speakers, I have never had much trouble finding that spot. YMMV, of course. :)

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    M-Audio Studiophiles are nice for the money.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It's a design that Behringer has been accused of pilfering from Mackie. Hearing them, I'd say it's true. You run into the issue of who you want to give your money to in that case.

I think there are some Event's that fit your budget, as well as the Alesis. Understand, that if you posted this question with that budget on a recording website they'd laugh you off the net. (happened to me!) but I'd look at the two I mentioned and the M-Audio (you can add a sub). All of the budget monitors have weak spots, the key is learning to use them to make recordings that translate well. That takes practice more than money. :)