Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

affordable swr's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by soundofphysics, Aug 31, 2000.

1. soundofphysics

soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    any opinions about the swr workingmans series, they are the affordable lien of swr's, i'm debating between that and one of the new fender bassmans. the fender is cheaper, but i liek the optiosn you get in teh head of the swr, and the tone to, anybody run across problems with either.

btw if oyu've never been a fan of fender bass amps, you'll probably be impressed by the new bassmans, especially the ones above 100 watts.

also you think these amps are giggable enough??

2. IMO, Any SWR blows away any fender, any day.The reason I say this is because SWR speakers are more efficient than fenders. They cost slightly more, but believe me, for the extra money, the SWR will be with you a lot longer than the fender ever would.And you will be happier with an SWR 15 Combo for $650 than a Bassman 400 2x10 for $919.Or you could split the difference if you want a great gig rig and plunk down about $1100 for a SWR 4x10 and a 400 watt 4004
    head,a lethal combination, again IMHO.
    So overall, I would say the SWR is a much better value.
    P.S. These prices are from musicians friend, You may do even better at the Sam Ash in Jersey or online at Bass Northwest.

[Edited by reedo35 on 09-01-2000 at 12:37 AM]

3. soundofphysics

soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    yeah skimping on money will catch up to me later on I suppose, might as well spend teh bucks now rather than later and enjoy my playing more.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hey sound, no offense, but a little proofreading goes a long way. OK, goodbye.

5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    soundofphysics

I'll be glad to share my experience with the SWR4004 with one Workigmans 1x15. I bought mine in April.

Lots of tone options, plenty of power. 1x15 is awkward but not really heavy. Much easier to carry with two people. All the specs called for a compression defeat switch. My 4004 doesn't have one. very well satisfied with volume and tone.

Now for the kicker! Last night I noticed a strange, frying like sound at very low volume. I've got to determine for sure that the problem is in the amp and not my bass. I'm almost certain it will be the amp.

It may be to your advantage to wait and see what thier warrantee program really is. The store that I bought it from said to bring it to the store and they would take it from there. I'd be glad to keep you informed.

At the very least it's food for thought as to buying locally or mailorder. At least I'm not responsible for the shipping.