1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Affortable Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ihvamullet, May 20, 2011.

1. ihvamullet

ihvamullet

May 20, 2011
    Hey,

I'm looking for advice on a new 4-string bass to replace my old Cort GB75. I can afford to spent between £450-650 and am looking at Ibanez, Fender and Schecter mainly. Although being a competent bassist I have next to no knowledge of technical elements of instruments and so could really use some advice!

I want a bass that is versatile as I want to play everything from rock, reggae to jazz and funk. I liked how lightweight my Cort was as well as its thin maple neck and high number of frets, however the active pickups were more hindrance than help when trying to find the right tone.

Having played a few Fenders, I'm not very keen on the twang of P basses, however many of my favourite artists (Radiohead, The Smiths, James Jamerson) use them and i read that they're great for recordings. If I had a Fender and raised the action would that reduce this 'twang'...?

I find the way Ibanez's play much closer to my Cort and like that, but what I don't like the way they look. I think I'd look rather out of place with a bass that looks like I'm in a metal band. Particularly I found the Ibanez SR500M great to play, but not so great to look at...

Any advice at all would be useful as I'm really rather clueless,

thanks Sam

2. I think you've eliminated the P bass. I'd try a passive Jazz. But I'm a big Fender guy; having had an Ibanez as my first bass, I like the sound and feel of the Fenders a lot better.

3. mtshark

mtshark

Nov 28, 2008
    Your best bet is to got to a store like GC where they have a wide range of basses and try all of them in your price range. Then you can find out how they actually play and sound like. Try to bring your amp or find one as similar as possible.