Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AFI Silver and Cold

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Mar 7, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    AFI has changed a lot. I remember the first video of theirs I saw was them chilling out in a graveyard, then in a bathtub, then back to the graveyard. Then they had the one where the band members shot and stabbed a really stupid-looking dummy that was supposed to be Davey Havok.

I guess this is the kind of music they've always been trying to make, good for them.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah I heard they use to be like a hardcore punk band. I bought their album because I thought I'd like it... I ended up selling it. It's OK, it's like pop punk with a bit of gothiness to it.

Davey Havok is way way way too much though.

4. Yeah, the band finally found their identity...making lame goth punk. I liked their punk-metal days much better ("Black Sails In The Sunset" ) and back when they were a happy pop punk band ("Answer That And Stay Fashionable")

I can pretty much take or leave the new stuff. When I saw AFI live Davey Havok was easily the palest person I've ever seen. Get some freaking sun, dude.

5. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Davey Havok too much? Have you heard My Chemical Romance?

Imagine Jack White and Claudio from Coheed and Cambria joining AFI, and that's pretty close to what they sound like. Check out their website and watch the Helena video. I saw it last night whilst watching MTV2. It's possibly my new favorite video (in the ironic, hipster sense) I can't get over how absolutely absurd it is! Complete camp, really good choreography and really tries hard to convince you that the band rocks out hardcore. It has to be seen to be believed.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah but Chemical Romance guy just looks like he's trying to be Edward Scissorhands. Davey wants to be an ugly goth chick.

7. Dude, he's pale because he wears makeup on stage. That's why he's so pale looking. Dying his hair jet-black adds to the effect as well.

Personally, I love AFI. My favourite band of all time. I have every single album, both on CD and vinyl (Due to the vinyl only tracks on each album). Though Sing the Sorrow is a departure from most of their previous stuff, it still is a very solid album. The best album by them is still easily Black Sails in the Sunset.

8. Kevin, that being said, you do realize that the song is about a guy thinking about committing suicide right?

9. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    guys respect AFI man they are a talented band. I generally don't listen to new music (other than some fusion and jazz) and AFI and Coheed and Cambria are an exception to that. From Black Sails in the Sunset to Sing The sorrow was amazing! and agree with his looks or not you have to agree that Davey has quite the great voice. And he's probably one of the best modern lyricists around...Coheed are great too, catchy songs with substance, and some over all great songs that can be pretty technical.

10. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    +1 That cd stayed in my stereo for about two months when I first got it. The Art of Drowning is good too.

11. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

Not to be obnoxious or anything, but a LOT of their songs are about suicide.

12. Actually, I wouldn't go that far. When they added a lot more gothic feel to their music (After A Fire Inside E.P.) a lot of their songs became depressing feeling, but not really directly about suicide. However, though their music has a depressing feel to it, the lyrics are actually rather uplifting. Especially if you listen to Black Sails.

13. I'm a huge fan of AFI and Black Sails has got to be my favorite. It's just the perfect blend of punk, hardcore, goth, whatever they've ever been. It's serious yet not depressing, more complex than their early days, really heavy, and has some of the best melodies (and basslines!) the band has ever written. All Hallows comes a close second (only 4 songs, but they are all amazing). Sing the Sorrow is a pleasant change once in a while. I don't particularly enjoy the direction they're taking but I still like the music and and open to anything they'll throw. I also still regularly listen to their early albums and everything in between.

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

John

I said i think it is funny how i heard the song on TV as opposed to the radio.I dont think Suicide is funny. :(

15. Ahhh, I get you know...I misread your post...my bad.