Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Jun 29, 2001.

1. Anyone listen to them? Today I picked up "The Art of Drowning" and IMO this is an awesome cd. AFI is one of my favorite bands, and Hunter is an amazing bassist at that.
  2. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Extremely true. AFI is my favorite band, Hunter is great, but have you ever listened to the lyrics? They're insane, a lot better than those other punk lyrics (like Blink's).

Hunter started playing for AFI in the album "Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes" and continues to play for them this day. I wouldn't recomend getting any of the cds Hunter doesn't play in like "Very Proud of Ya" and "Answer That and Stay Fashionable". They aren't very good quality and they don't have Hunter!

Also, Hunter is one of the few punk bassists to play with a MIA Fender Jazz ;)

If you like Art of Drowning you will LOVE Black Sails in the Sunset, I can't really tell which one of the cds I like better, but Black Sails in the Sunset is definitely worth it.

Personally my favorite song by AFI would be "Exsanguination" from the Black Sails cd.
  3. Yes I LOVE AFI, and their one of my favorite, if not my favorite band. Hunter goes beyond the boring root note punk basslines that are used so much and experiements with chords every so often which sound really great. If you like The Art of Drowning, get Black Sails in the Sunset also, which sounds similar but is heavier. Those who haven't heard of them, do yourself a favor and get The Art of Drowning. They mix just the right amount of fast punk and slow ballads but I can safely say all of the songs are excellent, and AFI, or any other punk band will have a hell of a time meeting expectations as compared to it.
  4. I don't think I've heard anything off of Black Sails in the Sunset, maybe I should check that out. The Art of Drowning is their only cd I own, but I have alot of their mp3s and I've heard everything off of All Hallows EP and Answer That and Stay Fashionable. My favorite song by them is either "Fall Children", "Wester", "A Winter's tale" or "Wanna be a Highschool Football Hero" or "days of the phoenix" Its too hard to choose a fav, all of their songs are awesome. And to think if Offspring had never covered "totalimmortal", I probably would of never heard of them.

At what point did Jade join AFI?
  5. Whoa lets hold on here boys, you guys are trying to diss early A.F.I., very proud of ya is one of the best albums ever, every song on there smokes, it is so intense, I like shut your mouth lots but it is not better than very proud of ya, davey's voice sounds awesome on very proud of ya, as for art of drowning im going to pick it up, I know an old a.f.i. fan like me should have it by now, but hell there are so many albums ive been buying, and the new bigwig is coming out, warped tour, so much money to spend ah well.