AFM letter for flying with instruments...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by whackdoodle, Nov 8, 2005.

1. whackdoodle

Nov 2, 2005
    Days ago, I came across a reference in an obscure post to an American Federation of Musicians letter which entitles union members to carry instruments on to a flight. Is there such an authorization?
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    For the TSA, sure. Trouble is, TSA can't dictate airline policy, so the airlines are free to do whatever they feel like depending on their mood. One day I can take my bass no problem, the next day I have to check it at the ticket counter. Airlines are getting more strict about enforcing no guitars on board, so right now it's 50/50 whether they'll let you on or not.
  3. whackdoodle

Nov 2, 2005
    I've flown about a half dozen times in the last four or five months, and I've been amazed at how many folks had gig bags at the gate.
  4. ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    So much of it depends on the airlines. I've racked up over 35,000 miles with Northwest this year and never had a single problem with them. I've had to gate check it on the smaller planes but that's not a problem for me.

I have however had issues with both Delta and American telling me no way they would allow my bass to be carried on. So it just depends on the mood of the person at the counter.