Afro Celt Sound System

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by oddentity, Aug 16, 2001.

1. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Just wondering if anyone else out there listens to this incedible band. [Most of their bass sounds are programmed synths, but one or two tracks on each album have live bass.]

I have been a fan for many years and saw them at the opening show of the Release US tour, and again on Saturday for the last show of their Further in Time US tour.

It was one of the most vibrant, joyful and musically amazing shows I've ever seen. They opened with a remixed version of "Eireann" off Release, and the intro vocals by Iarla O'Lionaird and especially N'Faly Kouyate sent chills up my spine... pure JOY and emotion. N'Faly was grinning from ear to ear throughout the show and his enthusiasm definitely carried over into the crowd.

The audience reaction was incredible -- I don't think I've ever seen so many people dancing at the TLA, even for Maceo Parker...

There were plenty of solo opportunities for each member of the band to demonstrate their abilities on their instruments.

At the end of the show, the band thanked the audience profusely and then hung out at the merchandise table for quite a while, to sign autographs and take pictures with fans. How cool is THAT?!?! :D

They said they'll be back this fall, and I for one can't wait...
  2. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I love Afro Celt Soundsystem! I just discovered them fairly recently and I only have the first album. My buddy has a couple others that are great, too. Peter Gabriel does a couple of tunes on their latest, I think, and I'm a huge fan of his (especially with Tony Levin). That same buddy of mine picked up a similar CD in Scotland by a band called Makumba, I think. It is excellent; Celtic bagpipes and African drums.
  3. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Love it! I like the combination of wispy Irish melody over a heavily syncopated rhythm bed. Did you all know that Bakithi Kumalo was playing bass for Eileen Ivers? She has had the world beat bass players happening for years with her Irish tunes. Sounds great!

Myself, I love folk music and the people surrounding it. But for the most part in my area, it lacks real groove. Any cross pollination is good. The nice thing about ACSS is the identity of the influences are worn proudly on the sleeves rather than homogenizing things so much that it sounds muddled. Nice stuff!

4. oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Cool - I'll have to check that out! :D
  5. oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    I totally agree...