after 13 months in waiting...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rusty, May 15, 2005.

1. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    I finally have my brand new nordie at home with me!!

The pics that Carey took aren't up yet, so we'll just have to make do with my completely biased, slanted and completely non-objective review on the bass ;)

The first thing that struck me when I finally came face to face with it after my 20++ hour trip to CA, was how impossibly good it looked... the finish was so impeccably done, I'd have sworn it was covered in glass. You have to see it to believe it. If you ever have a nordie made for you, have it done in gloss. You won't ever regret it ;)

Playability is unbelievable. I've been pretty much playing 4 bangers exclusively for the past 8-9 years and I was a little worried about how difficult the transition would be to a 5 string. Once I picked up the bass, those fears dissappeared right away. The neck is so straight that the setup allows for crazy low action. It doesn't hurt that the neck profile is super comfy too! Everything about the playability of this bass is so comfortable, it takes me from "playing the bass" to "making music" in .001 seconds flat :D

Soundwise... here's a short story first - the stock piezos (shadows) that came with the abm bridge were absolutely CR@P... So Carey ordered a set of RMC saddles and had them shipped over pronto - thanks C! Suffice to say, the RMC's sound a bajillion more times better than the shadows. Ok, so that's the piezos. The bass also has Carey's dual coils in them... and boy do they sound impressive. Really articulate, but with plenty of bassy growl and goodness; switch them to series and you've got a lethal weapon in your hands ;)
    With the mags and the piezos combined, you've got a LOT of tonal ground covered. It's quite the do-it-all bass for me :)
    Oh, I'm running the mags through an Fbass pre and the piezos.
    My only gripe is that I can only increase/decrease the volume of the piezos - I can't adjust the tone of it... I don't know if it's possible, but I guess I'll figure that one out later. I'm pretty much all set with the options that the bass presents me already :D

While I'm on the topic of electronics, I must say that Carey did an incredible job with the elecs of the bass. The soldering was top notch, and all the parts/wires were organised really really well.

After this whole experience, I have to say that all the time and money spent on this bass was completely worth it. I wouldn't bat an eyelid if I had to do it all again. Make no mistake fellas, Mr C. Nordstrand is one of the best bass builders (and steak griller ;) )the world has to offer at the moment.
  2. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Congrats Rusty !!
    I´ve been curiously waiting for your review.
    I don´t know of any other person who travelled such
    a huge distance to get a bass, but seems to be it was
    a rewarding effort.

Post a clip of it if you can. I´d like to hear it.
  3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Can you explain a little bit more about the actual bass? :p
  4. Very cool, man! Congrats on another Nordstrand masterpiece.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    GREAT news, as expected...

6. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Sounds like a great bass, can't wait to see the pics!
  7. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Yeah man. The pics, the pics!!!

8. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    I decided to spare you guys the Nordstrand wait... ;) so here are some less than pro pics to tide the time till Carey decides to upload the ones he took :D My apologies for the less than stelar lighting...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

For those who're gonna ask (and I know you will), these are the specs... :D
    Nordstrand SC5, 34.5"
    Koa top, Camphor burl back
    Black Korina body (this piece is slightly heavy and sounds like alder...)
    5 piece maple/wenge neck, wenge transition block
    Braz rosewood fretboard w banjo frets (really fast!)
    Indian rosewood pup covers
    Koa THG knobs

Nordstrand dual coils
    Fbass preamp (with push/pull parallel/series wiring)
    RMC piezos in ABM bridge
    Fishman piezo blender

Not bad huh? :hyper:
  9. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    That aint bad at all.
  10. Tfunked

Dec 30, 2003
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    That is a very nice bass. Did it take 13 months to make it, or was that how long it took for you to have a chance to get it?

12. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I think Carey spends 1-2 months building the basses it's just the queue is pretty long. I could be wrong on the build time though.
  13. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Wow, that's a beauty! the finish in the pictures looks awesome. Seeing it up close I can only imagine how stunning it really does look. I want one!!!!!!!!!
  14. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    I think most of the building was completed in like 3 months, most of the other 10 were spent waiting for things like koa, piezos, piezo blenders... apart from that, I'm sure grilling steaks and tending to the miniature bonsai forest and the lawn also took up a fair amount of time ;)
  15. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Needs more knobs :D :D ! Seriously, that's one sweet bass man!
  16. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Carey sure does an immaculate job on neck joints
  17. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Congrats Cherns!! That IS my all time favorite
    Nordstrand. Mine is a real close second. :D

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member