1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

After 20 years, I’ve played my first fender!! (After buying it)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nashvillefunk, Jul 11, 2019.

1. I don’t know how I went so long without a fender in my hands. Always liked the boutique stuff and Nash basses, but got me an Oly White 72 Jazz this afternoon!!
    7306F016-A2FD-4D1A-B544-AF746584E652.

HD007, two fingers, kobass and 21 others like this.
  2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Nice classic look. Congrats.

FWIW, My 1st bass was an Ibanez Studio and I used that thing for years before I got a Fender. Then a Fender Precision V and the a Dimension Deluxe 5.

Nashvillefunk and BassmanM like this.
  3. slapshot

slapshot

Dec 22, 2018
    I'm in the same boat; finally played, and bought, my 1st J bass. Only took me 35 years.

Fun With Dirt and Nashvillefunk like this.
  4. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Welcome to the club... well, not a TB club... Nice Jazz bass. I love Olympic white. :thumbsup::cool:

Nashvillefunk likes this.
  5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

so this is your way of getting attention for an NBD without having to title the thread NBD? :laugh:

looks cool, OP: congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

Ghastly, Spinal Tapper and Wisebass like this.
  6. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    hi Nashvillefunk :)

Hard to find a Fender that looks as old as your Nash! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Two great basses! :thumbsup:

Happy NJD! (New Jazz Day) :hyper::hyper::hyper:

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

7. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Holy crap! Your first fender is a legit Oly White 72 Jazz!? Nice score!!!

Nashvillefunk likes this.
  8. I played for nearly 20 years before buying my first Fender bass (if a Squier JV counts). Now I have 9.
    This is my 1978 Jazz I bought about 10 years ago. Couldn't afford a 1972...
    It is really heavy! I have a 1974 ash precision that is a featherweight. Is your 1972 heavy? I envy you for the large TV-logo!!!
    78%20jazz%202016-02-23%2021.36.12.

Elusive1 likes this.
  9. It’s pretty heavy. I lot more than my Nash Jazz.

10. Not gonna lie, not sure what NBD stands for.

JRA likes this.
  11. Elusive1

Elusive1

Jun 21, 2018
    Singapore
    "New Bass Day"

JRA likes this.
  12. ^ This. But also: "Now Big Debt".

Elusive1 likes this.
  13. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Just an FYI, I would suggest removing both pickup covers so you can easily change the plucking position on the strings. For some parts or some rooms you may find that plucking back by the bridge pickup is the way to go. Personally, I typically set my amp up flat with a little boost around 250Hz, run both volume and the tone control wide open, and adjust the sound I want from song to song by changing where I'm plucking on the strings. I start out by plucking right in front of or over the front pickup. Move up towards the neck for a darker sound and back towards the bridge for a brighter sound. Also move back towards the bridge I need more string tension to effectively play 16th or 32nd notes (think opening to Barracuda by Heart).

I started playing bass in 1965 and have been play Jazz basses since 1966. First one was a '65, current one (in Olympic White) is an 82/83 Jazz with the same shape to the neck my '65 had...great basses!

14. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    Welcome home :hyper: :bassist:

15. Fender ad from the mid-90s when they completely overworked their bass-line:
    [​IMG]

dmt likes this.
  16. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    A jazz is my one and only. I always liked the sound of them but I guess I got it in my head that they weren't modern sounding enough or something like that. So, in nearly 30 years of bass playing, I never owned one. Then it occurred to me that I was also rather stupid. I finally picked one up 3 years ago ances I've never been this happy with any bass.

17. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    Same boat. Not quite 35 years but a few shy of 30. NOBODY doubts that bass. Me? Sure. The bass? No.