After 25 years, look what showed up

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by byrdsfan, Mar 6, 2004.

1. byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    We played with a drummer today for the first time, an old friend. Last time i played in a band with him was in high school, and he was a guitarist then. He started playing drums because drummers would leave their stuff in his basement.
    Now I have a basement, and he came over and brought ... my old Fender MusicMaster bass! I had not seen it in about 25 years, and when I did it was on television.
    The time period is as i've been working, all at the same place. It involves nights and weekends, so being in a band went out the window the day I walked in. i now at least have Friday-Saturday off so it opens some possibilities.
    The drummer had it because I lent it to the bass player he was playing with. The bass player doublebooked the band, and the drummer and singer/guitarist hooked up with another drummer to play one of the two gigs as a trio (with my friend the drummer playing bass, ever having done so before). The real bass player and his lead guitarist brother did the real gig with another drummer.
    Follow that? Now the lead singer/rhythm guitarist used to be something of a singer/songwriter and had his own band. They played on a local public access channel and his bass player used my bass on the show. That was the last I saw of it until today.
    The drummer said, well since you're playing again, I thougt you might want this.
    Now it's not in great condition. There's normal wear of the finish and he put a screw and washer in the body to hold down the pickguard in the corner. That looks pretty bad and I'm trying to figure out what to do about it. And the strings he changed 20 years ago are dead. Are there shortscale strings? Also the neck needs adjusting but my lead guitarist it good at that.
    I see these going for about $300 on ebay, so they are somewhat coveted. There's interest in shortscales and I had been looking at the cheaper Gretsches myself (pretty).
    But I played my Dano Dc reissue today. I also have Jasmine acoustic (damaged in shipping and in the shop) and an Essex P copy (the lead guitarist is adjusting the intonation).
    Anyway, that's just about it. We play country rock type stuff, same as way back then.
  2. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    That is a SWEET Musicmaster and story to go along with it!! Congrats on getting an old friend back. What I wouldn't give to get my old '78 Musicmaster back, (sadly, it was stolen in '83)... I did pick up another '78 on E-Bay and am in short-scale heaven once again...

I use D'Addario XL's in short-scale... Not bad at all for a cheaper string. Great sounding, nickels that get better with age IMO... For the pickguard, you can get sheets of material from Stewart MacDonald's and use your old pg as a template to cut and route a new one, or just leave the old one as is an enjoy that classic mojo :D I see alot of these having the 'screw and washer' type repair...

The Musicmasters work great for classic rock... I use mine in my current country band, or as seen here, blues!

3. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dude, what are you thinking.

1 trip to a good luthier, and 60 bones later and you are good for life.
    My basses are like my cars, they get a oil change whether they need
    it or not. Take out your wallet ....

You may be the only guy that gear ever came back to, glom on,
    and NEVER let go again.

edit: and of all my basses, the short scale 30.5 is the most
    interesting, and superbly fast, it brings out my best work.
    when i play it the

notes fall from my fingers like tears from my eyes ...
  4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Great Pic ( I think I saw it last year, maybe?).

I could tell it was a blues gig based on the barbed wire in the

By the way, when is the release date? :D

5. byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    I just saw a MM pickguard going for $45 on ebay. But mine is ok, it just sticking up in that corner.
    I'm going to bring it somewhere for a once-over, maybe even a new pickup (but not the guy who's had my Jasmine ABG since January). I noticed it was a lot quieter than my Dano.
  6. bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA
    Back in the early seventies I was a sax player. Around '75 I bought a bass just to mess with. Three years ago, I started playing guitar. Eventually, I remembered that I still had the bass in my parents basement. Turns out, it's a Musicmaster. The nut had split under string tension, and the finish is kind of funky, but there it is. I figure I'll get a nut blank and a new pickup and give it a shot.
  7. That looks just like mine. I had to look in the corner to see if it still there. Yep. I love that cream white. It was my first bass, I bought it myself for 184$ back in 1986 I was 16. The guy in the music store said he didn't have anything desent beside the Cort Steinburger copy. I new it was junk even thouhg I didn't play yet. I spotted the music master in with the guitars he tried to talk me out of it but I got it anyway. They closed about a month later, and I have had mine since. After a few years I switched to a full size but still play it ocasionally. I got a great blues sound in the studio with it. Unfortunatly I broke one of the tuners, it still work but a replacment would be nice if anyone knows of one.
    Peace, Benton
  8. byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    I bought it new in either '71 or '72 for about $90. They sold me a guitar case with it for like $10 and i had to detune the G key to put it in it.
    I hope my girlfriend from then (senior year of HS) doesnt read this forum because i heard afterwards she was complaining she laid out the dough and i never paid her back. ;)