After 3 long years waiting, I finally got a job...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by miko, Dec 22, 2003.

1. now of course, it woulda been way cooler if i could've amended my "i'm in san diego" post [where'd it go, anyway?] with "i got the job," but unfortunately, that job didn't pan out.

instead, i got offered the job working with the joe millionaire guy i've been temping for, and i took it.

it's kinda bittersweet. i mean, i was really holding out for the big-deal writing gig, and instead, i'm gonna be a secretary. but at this point in my life, i had to look at the reality of my sitch, and the reality is i need a steady paycheck and some medical benefits.

so secretary it is.

the upside: extremely easy commute, pretty good pay considering i have no idea how to be a secretary, he's away quite frequently, and i'm told that if you really work your tail off, joe m. rewards you by matching your salary come
    x-mas bonus-time. i'll have to wait a year for that, but in the meantime i'm doing what i can to get good at what i need to get good at.

the downside: no lunch hour, work runs 8:30am-6:30pm, i gotta do bogus things like get his laundry and water his plants at home, the work itself is not really brain-expanding, and joey m. is something of a turd. we've gotten past the "show me some respect" talk, but he really is incredibly anal and narcissistic. almost enough to get a DSM-III write-up.

still, i'm grateful that he's giving me a chance, and i'm gonna do the right thing by him and do a good job. i have to learn excel and powerpoint immediately, and get better at word. probably wouldn't hurt to learn some html either.

so anyhow, just wanted to share the news. with any luck, i'll hang onto this job for a while, then look for writing work again when the market opens up more. who knows? maybe i'll get really good and decide to stay here forever. i mean, advertising definitely has not shown itself to be a steady and reliable career choice.

now i can actually do a little x-mas shopping!

2. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    you are not your job (fight club tm.)

write what you want in your spare time, or while at work.
  3. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Have you ever considered trying to write a novel in your spare time?
    I am in the process of just such an undertaking. Very overwhelming, but, I hope rewarding in the end.
    Good luck.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats, even though you're not 100% happy, it sounds like a decent enough situation.

Like BA and vegaas said, don't give up on writing. Do it in your spare time!:)
  5. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Congrats, but I always thought advertising was a more lucrative career.

Either way, have fun with your new job. Strangely enough, I always thought I would make a good secretary, but there's that gender bias thing going on.
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    money spends the same no matter where it comes'll learn to like your job....if not, the recent experiences you have shared with us make for a few good chapters in a book :)

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Congrats on the job. He must respect you to have offered it to you right? Paychecks are good.
  8. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    your post always make me crack up!!

:D :D :D