1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

after a band breaks up, who gets the rights to the songs that were written?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by deepseabass, Nov 1, 2013.

1. deepseabass

deepseabass

May 7, 2013
    OK, so I just had a band of mine break up, and I was wondering if I would be able to perform some of the songs that we wrote with another group. I have over 75% writing credit on all of the songs, but i don't know if performing them would have some consequences.

also, none of these songs were ever recorded. does the make a difference?

2. Whoever owns the copyrights, owns the songs.

3. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    If nothing was ever recorded or documented the worst thing that would probably happen is hurt feelings and resentment.

4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

There are a couple of actual music attorneys around the site - one of them has "Music Attorney" for a username. My understanding (not being a lawyer, but having read a bit) is that EACH composer of a song holds FULL rights to the song. So if you were indeed a co-writer, you can do as you please with the tune as its owner, including record it - as can any other co-writers. You do not need anyone's permission. However, I believe that if you did record it and sell copies, you would owe the other writers a share of the royalty on it. They have the right to claim that.

5. TravisJ

TravisJ

Aug 16, 2013
    Illinois
    If it is just performing, what is the difference between covering your old band and covering any other band?