1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

After a loong indecision, I've just sucumbed to the temptation...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Sep 6, 2008.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

...and bought this!

iPod002.

iPod001.

(Protective cover bought separately, of course) And right now I'm transferring the entire Rush discography from my original CDs to my new toy using Winamp (not iTunes) and of course still have lots of music to transfer! I bought a cheap USB stick-based mp3 player long ago, but the earphone jack got damaged and I lost interest, specially because it wasn't very user-friendly. Now, this one isn't cheap (337,5 USD at the current exchange rate), but anyway I feel it's a really good and versatile unit. Hopefully it will stay with me for a long time. I've read lots of times about iPod, iRiver, Creative Zen, Sony and others, but definitely the guys from apple are marketing geniuses. No other player looks as nice as this one to me. Of course there's the iPod touch, but my main interest was to get the biggest storage space available. Any suggestions and tips for an iPod newbie like me are welcome. :cool:

2. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    If your CDs aren't in the best condition, I recommend using Exact Audio Copy (in Secure Mode) to transfer your songs. And whatever program you use, your best bet is to transfer at 256kbps VBR.

3. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie

Mar 10, 2007
    Queretaro
    Good buy Alvaro, I really like mine, particularly for driving long distances. I would love it if it could pitch shift, but hey, I guess that's not what they're made for...

BTW, if you do use it in your car, don't get a FM transmiter, I've had frustrating experiences with two of them, try to plug it in somehow...

4. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    Didn't realize this was a classic, but they may be coming out with new models on the 9th.

5. I have this nice plastic case that protect the iPod, but the 80 gig is a nice choice. That is what I have.

I bought a stereo for my car that allows me to plug in my iPod (the wires are in the glovebox) and control it from the radio.

6. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    Oh that reminds me I have an otter box case for a nano, im looking to sell if anyone wants it. There awesome.. They are airtight crushproof waterproof everything.. I just bought the new one for my iphone..

7. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    They will have new ones better for cheaper this tuesday!

Can you bring it back?

Still a great MP3 player. I love mine :)

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Awesome. Welcome to the dark side.

9. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Congrats Alvaro

I`m currently facing the same situation. Bought 2 cheap MP3 portable players sometime ago, and they both broke after a couple of months.

I got a friend here who works at Best Buy Customer Service (only for MP3 devices). He told me that Ipod Touch is quite fragile and customers usually complain about several failures (don`t remember specifically which ones right now).

I`ll try to contact him tomorrow and ask about the model you own.

10. Mine's been collecting dust since I got my iPhone :meh:

11. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Tell us about the cheaper new one.

12. I'm just waiting for them to do one with an auxillary input that I can hook up to a mixing desk and record stuff onto, or put hook a mic up to it and record sessions and stuff. Maybe have a radio as well, would be very useful. I've had 3 cheap mp3 players that have all died fairly quickly, just can't afford an ipod at the moment.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My 8GB Nano only gets used at the gym and for long car rides. Honestly, I don't really use my iPhone as an iPod much, but I've got all the same music as the Nano just in case.

However, I will admit to having multiple cheap mp3 players before finally settling in with my 2nd Gen 8GB Nano. That started the Apple Conversion Process in which everything I buy now, is pretty much Apple. I'm addicted now.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Apple is very good at keeping details under wraps, so you can wait until Tuesday with the rest of us.

15. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Phew! Cool, but fortunately nothing that makes me feel remorse on my purchase (Loving it!).

16. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I was expencting more...
    but a 16 gig nano isn't bad.
    But why take the nano when you can get a 120 gig Ipod classic for 250$.

17. Congrats Alvaro. I loathe everything Apple, but love mp3 players. If Apple was my only choice, I'd have an ipod too! :)

18. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Bought an 80gb earlier this year. I also use Winamp, and it works flawlessly. Got a leather case for $5 shipped. I'm super pleased with it. The biggest problem I have is trying to pick something to listen to. Seriously. It holds SOOOOOO much.

Hint: It might be too late, but before you you get too far, you may want to connect to iTunes at least once to download and install any firmware for the iPod.

I think you'll be very pleased with your purchase. There's so many accessories available, if you shop carefully. Congrats!

(Former iPod disliker)

19. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Thank you! I've just did it (Before running iTunes for the first time with my iPod connected, I disabled automatic iPod synchronization on iTunes). The firmware is updated.

iTunes still launches automatically when the iPod is connected, but I've just found that holding "Shift" while connecting the iPod makes iTunes to ignore it (it doesn't start). Also found that, while Winamp is way better for managing the iPod, native support isn't as powerful as the ml_ipod plugin, so for those of you who use Winamp, I recommend to download and install the plugin (This installation automatically uninstalls native iPod support). But warning: If you have the lyrics plugin installed, you must unistall it first because it can't coexist with ml_ipod => Winamp crashes.

20. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Have you done this?:

With iTunes up and the iPod connected, select the "DEVICES -> (iPod name)" in the menu. On the Summary screen where the iPod's capacity and usage bars are displayed there should be a check-box "Open iTunes when this iPod is connected". Turn it off.