Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

After a week, all my strings are DEAD!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cjgallen, Sep 5, 2003.

1. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    I've been using Fender strings ever since I got my new Fender jazz. The factory strings were great and lasted well over six months (probably longer if I hadn't wanted a lighter gauge).

So I've gone through about four sets of Fender strings, they've all sounded great. But last week I changed them again (with the same exact strings), and today, THEY'RE DEAD! All five of them, nothing but THUD THUD THUD, no sustain at all.

So I dug my old set out of the trash can, wiped them off with some isopropyl alcohol, and put them back on. The old set still sounds amazing. Maybe I can squeeze another 6 months out of them :D

So what should I do with these dead strings?

2. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Strange, so both sets are the same string?

4. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Throw out your dead strings. If they sound dead, and you don't like them,why keep them? Try a different set of strings! Try to keep them clean dirty strings sound like mud!

Also, what style of music are you doing? Do you abuse your strings? This might have something to do with it. I've never had a problem with strings dying so quickly!

5. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Perhaps you received a bad set of strings. Another thing to consider is that some people's sweat is very acidic, and will shorten the string life. Have you had this problem before? Are you a new player, with your first bass (meaning you may not have previous experience with this)?

I would also try another brand of strings.

JD

6. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    I'm playing hardcore-ish metal with my band, but I don't play very agressive at all. Like I said, my 5 month old set still sounds great! (exact same brand/gauge)

Yeah, I think it's just a bad set. This is the first time I've ever had this problem. I've gone through several sets of these exact strings. I've never broken one, and they've never actually needed to be changed, I'm just paranoid they'll break at a gig, so I change them after about 4 or 5 months.

7. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Here's another question: Do you cut the string ends before installing them? Do you make a 90-degree bend in the string BEFORE cutting it? If not, the windings can loosen which would certainly result in dead strings. Unlikely that this happened to all four strings, but it's a possibility.

8. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Are they flats, roundwounds, steelrounds, etc?

Sometimes what may sound "dead" to you might sound "alive" for lack of better word to others. Its very strange for strings to lose its brightness after just one week. I've never experienced that but like Joe Turski said, if they're dead and you don't like them why are they still there. Go get a different set of strings.

9. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Sounds like a bad set, but it's strange that all of them died so quickly. Take them back to the shop, you should get new ones for free.

10. also getting discount strings is sometimes a bad idea. i got a set of heavy guage fender stainless steel roundwounds for $10, but when i put them on there was practically no treble and the g string was ridiculously dull...no cash left for a cecent set yet though:(