AFTER Adjusting Your Truss Rod....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Since wooden necks usually need a "setting in" time after a truss rod adjustment, how soon after adjusting the rod should you re-tune your bass? Should you wait a full 24 hours, or will it aid in the adjustment to tighten them sooner-if so, is it dependant on if you tightened or loosened your truss rod?
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I've always tuned it right back up after adjusting, otherwise, your adjustments aren't gonna amount to much, as the neck needs to pull against the strings to find it's end 'resting' place.

I reduce string tension, turn the rod, re-tune and check the relief and playability, then leave it in the hyperbaric chamberĀ® for about a day, then re-tune and check relief and playablility.
  3. bryan,

I generally tune immediately after adjusting my truss rod, and then re-adjust, re-tune...etc...

I tend to do very small moves at a time, and see what that gets me...I may have to do a re-tune the next day, but beyond that...almost never...

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    +1 Same here.