After an 18 mo. search for a new rig, I may finally be close to the end... (long)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JPJ, Oct 19, 2002.

1. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    After trying virtually every cab by virtually every major manufacturer over the last year and a half, I may finally be close to finalizing my new rig. I had been trying to put together a compact, light-weight modular rig that would be easily portable and could compete with two half stacks. While good in theory, it was virtually impossible to get the tone and power handling I was looking for.

Soooo, today I tried a Bergantino HT310 & HT322. While I was thinking that I might need BOTH, I was amazed that one cab would probably do the trick. While neither cab is small or light-weight, buying one cab would be substantially less expensive than multiples. However, some observations..

While there wasn't anything "bad" about the cabs, nothing really jumped out at me tone-wise. I suppose that some will say, "exactly...that's the point". The tweeter/crossover was probably the best I've heard, but there was still hiss at the 12 noon position. Also, every Berg cab I tried had a rattle or hum in it somewhere. Any thoughts here? Should I chalk that up to abused demo equipment?

While I couldn't tell a lot of difference between the 3X10 and the 2X10s w/ a 12, the HT322 seems like the best "one cab for all applications" scenario. Again, any thoughts or opinions here for a 4-string, fingerstyle player?

Finally, I've tried Epifani 2X10, 3X10 and 2X12 cabs and have like them all. I really like the low end, clarity, and punchiness...these cabs are clear and articulate, but seem to have just a little something extra than the Bergs...either a bump or a scoop somewhere. However, the high end seems too forced. This isn't a big deal, as I'm not a slapper, but idealy, I'd like to have an Epi cab with the Berg tweet/crossover, so there's still some confusion and undecisiveness on my part.

I'm looking for those to confirm or refute my findings, so please let me know what you thing...for those of you who own or have tried these cabs. Thanks!!!
  2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I tried one of those Berg 322s with a MESA Walkabout, and a Curbow Petite 5 string. It sounded frikkin' amazing. If I ever get into a situation where my 2 Aggie 1x12s and EA vl-108 don't cut it, I'd love to get a one.

I didn't like the way the Berg 1x12 that I tried out--mainly for the reason you mentioned. I guess I got used to the thickness of the Aggie 1x12.

The 322 didn't suffer from that problem to my ears. Of course, my brain has become tuned to the set up I'm using, so your expectations might have been different.

I didn't notice any hiss problems, or construction issues with the ones I looked at, but, then, I was also trying not to get too attached to them, either. :D