Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

After Christmas, time for a combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr.QuakQuak, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Ok I know there is alot of topics on combo's but I'm looking for more of direct opinions. I got two gift certificates to GC, and cash totalling to about $560. I'm looking for a practice jamming combo of 100 watts and above. Since it is after the holidays I don't want to spend alot of time in the store for it will likely be very busy. I'm just looking for reccomendations. Also they are having a sale starting friday I think, maybe I can get a good deal.

As for playing I play mainly rock. Also blues, jazz, and the occasional funk :)

Any and all help welcome.

Have a happy New Year.

2. aladdin

aladdin

Mar 7, 2003
    Chiba, Japan
    Some things to check out there:

Ampeg BA-115 Nice.
    Yorkville XM200
    SWR WorkingMan's 12
    Roland Bass Cube 30
    Ashdown Electric Blue 150-15

These are all radically different sounding but good amps!

My personal choices sound-wise would be either the Ampeg or the SWR, and you could use them in a band setting without worry. However, that little Roland 30 watt deal has gotten my attention! It really kicks for a little guy! It is so small and good sounding, it is hard to pass up. I might pick one up for myself! Good luck!

If you can pick up a used SWR Workingman's 15, I recommend that also.

-Aladdin

3. I'm really hoping GC has the Ashdown because the last few times I was there, they didn't. I also never see it on musiciansfriend anymore.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My guitarist uses a cube 30..so i assume the bass one is equally good.
    But i LOVE my Ampeg B100r and will always recomend it.

5. Well I'm going tomorrow. Hope I find something good. I'm really interested in the yorkville but some people hated them. I'll just try them out ^^

6. They didn't have much of a selection but ...

7. fender rumble 100
    i just got it and i love, its only $300 also

8. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    check my sig!

edit : nvm , see you found a good combo already

9. Nooo, Fender BASSMAN ! No rumble here.