1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

After Christmas, time for a combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr.QuakQuak, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Ok I know there is alot of topics on combo's but I'm looking for more of direct opinions. I got two gift certificates to GC, and cash totalling to about $560. I'm looking for a practice jamming combo of 100 watts and above. Since it is after the holidays I don't want to spend alot of time in the store for it will likely be very busy. I'm just looking for reccomendations. Also they are having a sale starting friday I think, maybe I can get a good deal.

As for playing I play mainly rock. Also blues, jazz, and the occasional funk :)

Any and all help welcome.

Have a happy New Year.

2. aladdin

aladdin

Mar 7, 2003
    Chiba, Japan
    Some things to check out there:

Ampeg BA-115 Nice.
    Yorkville XM200
    SWR WorkingMan's 12
    Roland Bass Cube 30
    Ashdown Electric Blue 150-15

These are all radically different sounding but good amps!

My personal choices sound-wise would be either the Ampeg or the SWR, and you could use them in a band setting without worry. However, that little Roland 30 watt deal has gotten my attention! It really kicks for a little guy! It is so small and good sounding, it is hard to pass up. I might pick one up for myself! Good luck!

If you can pick up a used SWR Workingman's 15, I recommend that also.

-Aladdin

3. I'm really hoping GC has the Ashdown because the last few times I was there, they didn't. I also never see it on musiciansfriend anymore.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My guitarist uses a cube 30..so i assume the bass one is equally good.
    But i LOVE my Ampeg B100r and will always recomend it.

5. Well I'm going tomorrow. Hope I find something good. I'm really interested in the yorkville but some people hated them. I'll just try them out ^^

6. They didn't have much of a selection but ...

7. fender rumble 100
    i just got it and i love, its only $300 also

8. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    check my sig!

edit : nvm , see you found a good combo already

9. Nooo, Fender BASSMAN ! No rumble here.