Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

After CMaj, what is next?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jackaroe, May 20, 2002.

1. jackaroe

jackaroe

May 12, 2002
    After learning the C Major scale, what do u guys think is the next important/most used to learn?

2. If you know your c major scale then learn its modes. A mode is simply the same scale starting on a different scale degree. For instance the first mode is the C major scale (ionian), the second (dorian) is still C major but starts on D. It keeps going from there. You will find that once you get to the 6th scale degree you have your relative minor. Its still the Cmajor scale but its also the sixth mode which in turn means its a minor, in this case A minor. Practice your modes up and down the neck. Get familiar with them. The you can start doing double octaves of each of those modes to really learn it. Once you know the C major up and down the neck you can transpose to any key you like, meaning that the patterns you learnt will be the same they will just start on different notes. Then you can practice your scales in all keys. This is just a start, but a good one. It will help become familiar major interval relationships and help you with your speed and dexterity. If you can, play them over a metronome to become fluid and agile. Theres plenty to learn but if you can do this you've gotten farther than a lot of people.

3. lazybassass

lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    Mass
  4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Then after that learn how to play minor scales, then after that learn how to play major and minor pentatonic scales and the blues scale.

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
  6. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
    jazzbo,

I just read your "lesson".

Very clear and comperhensive!

7. lazybassass

lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    Mass
    Ya i must agree, before i got a teacher and when i was first learning scales and such that really got me on the right track.

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Thank you guys, I appreciate the support. I'm thinking of writing a second one.

9. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
    jazzbo,

If I may suggest a topic?

How about a lesson / analysis on the basics of writing a song. You know the stuff: Tonic, Dominant, A section, B section, Bridge, Form, specific chords imply a style, etc., etc.

10. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I've just had a quick look through your lesson Jazzbo - great work. It is clearer and easier t comprehend than several books I've seen.

I'll have a good work through it when I get home!!:)

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    That's not a bad idea at all. Although I might admit, I'm not much of a rock song writer, all the tunes I've written were jazz. Hmmm, it's a good idea though.

12. hmjuice

hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    Jazzbo,

Great lesson. With regards to new topics I'm trying to develop my jazz chops and was wondering if you could go into some of the transitions and movements. Like the ii,V,i stuff and how to work modes into bass lines.

hmjuice