after defretting, what is best finish?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by buddahbass, Feb 27, 2005.

1. buddahbass

Dec 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    well, after thinking long and hard, i finally decided to make my old squire p into a fretless. it went a whole lot smother than i expected. believe it or not i used a pair of toe nail clippers to remove the frets and did very minimal damage and no chipping at all! so the hard part is done. what next? i kind of like the look of the holes where the frets used to be, is it a problem if i don't fill them in? and what is best to put on the finger board. the two most popular i hear about are polyurathane(sp)
    and epoxy. is one better than the other? :help:
  2. Yes, you must refill the slots for it to work right. The whole idea behind a fretless is the fluid transition between notes and the freedom that gives you. When you have a crevice across the fingerboard, your string is trapped eliminating the possibility of performing a proper vibrato or glissando. And you'll never be able to hit and hold a harmonic note because the ragged edge if the slot will kill the fine vibrations given off by the string. Don't half ass it now that you've come this far. That would be a crime - against your instrument and against music in general.

You can fill them with wood veneer, plastic sheet (.020 styrene) , or CA glue and wood dust. Anything that is hard enough to take the beating it will take during play.

Coating should only be attempted if you have experience with these materials. I can't stress this enough. This isn't for the weekender with no handy skills. You could wind up with a gooey mess at worst or just an unplayable piece o krap at best if it goes wrong. And don't think that because it's been done by other's without experience that it's right for you. I've seen applications that were touted as being "great jobs" from the owners only to find that it wasn't even of a quality to let monkey's play. Believe me, people know a good job when they see one.