Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

After I get this, should I save to upgrade amp or bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Basroil, May 26, 2005.

1. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    Im leaning toward a new amp, but advice would be appriciated.

2. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Well, where are you at now ability wise, and where do you want to be 6 months from now or a year from now? Are you gigging now?....a year from now?....no plans yet?

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
  4. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    Im asking which one you thin I need more for this deal.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Save up for an amp right after you buy it. That practice amp is not gig worthy.

-Mike

6. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    Well, Im not going to be doing gigs, but Im syill gonna get a new amp.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Right on. Head on over to the amps forum to get some ideas and help picking out a good amp.

You can also do some mods to that bass if you aren't 100% happy with it's tone. New strings, pickups, preamp, etc.

-Mike

8. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
  9. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    Thanks for the help people! :D

10. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    +1

Neither the bass or the amp will keep you happy, but they'll work.

If you want a better feel, get the bass first (maybe a fairly cheap bass from Rondo would do the trick). If you need to be louder, get the amp first.

Either way, you'll want to upgrade ASAP (preferably with something decent).

11. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    Don't buy the Drive Combo Package. Buy a bass with the funds you have, then save up for an amp.

12. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    Amp! I grew-up with 2x15" at 400W. While I don't advocate THAT much, I really suggest a 12" or 15" speaker with 100W (although the "new school" folks will say get 10"). While *not* the best, a cheap bass can sound pretty good (in the right hands) with a good amp.

A little amp, in that price-range, will do nothing but "fart" and "rattle". You may be better-off with headphones until you get a bigger amp.

I had a similar experience with a Fender Frontman 15B in the combo-pack I bought a few years back (getting back into playing). After about 5 minutes, I was VERY unhappy with the amp.

13. Upgrade your playing first.
    Get a better amp when you join a band.
    You could probably improve your bass with some decent strings and pickups.
    It all depends on your financial and playing situation.

14. id go for an SX bass from Rondo, then a half decent cheaper practise amp such as a Peavey or Harkte.

just mo. :)

15. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    +1

Get an SX bass of some sort from http://www.rondomusic.com, they have nice basses for under $100.
    Then pick up a little tiny practice amp, that you can hang onto once you get a bigger amp. you can get one for like $50.

Same price as your combo, far better bass, and a tiny amp you'll always find a use for.

16. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    So very very true.

17. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    +1 on the SX!

My buddy just got one of the $99 Jazz Basses. OMG! Easily the equal of a Fender MIM and superior to a Squier, Ibanez.

I wouldn't think twice if I saw it in a music tagged at $225.

18. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Ick, I say both (like so many others before me) Get a Squier or an Epiphone start pack. I don't think much of that setup...

Also, the SX route is a good one, then look for a used Peavey Microbass or better yet, Minx 110. Those things are bulletproof and you can play a small gig with them. (Better yet, no one wants to steal a Peavey. I got my car broken into once, they found the amp and left it. What did they take? My battery. :rolleyes: )...

19. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    The Drive pack isn't very good at all. I would definitly get an SX P-bass and then save for a decent combo amp.