1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

After months of fighting it...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Fingerpickingood, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Fingerpickingood

Fingerpickingood

Oct 30, 2014
    Texas
    I've had to come to grips with the fact that although I do play very well with my fingers, I'm still better with a plectrum. I attribute this to all my years as a guitarist. I hope you're not too disappointed. ;)

2. kwaping

kwaping

Jul 28, 2012
    Cupertino, CA
    Your personal preferences and choices are deeply upsetting to the Internet. Please consult us before making any further judgement calls. We don't care what you enjoy, only that you do it right.

:p

Stormchaser, sotua, Owens W and 23 others like this.
  3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I'm more disappointed that someone living outside of Britian used the term "plectrum".;)

I play better with my fingers but envy really good bassists that use picks. I can only play a few songs on bass with a pick before my hand cramps up. Not the case with guitar, which is weird.

To each their own.:)

4. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    I think it really depends on the song. There's no questions that the tone is different, and unless you're a master, it's always going to be easier to play driving 8th-note lines with more even dynamics with a pick, and easier to make subtle tonal and dynamic adjustments with your fingers.

I say that we shouldn't land on EITHER side of this debate. Let's all endeavor to be good at BOTH so we can be the best players we can.

5. Fingerpickingood

Fingerpickingood

Oct 30, 2014
    Texas
    I've always been known in my tiny musical circle as a guy with a really good right hand on guitar, so I figure I shouldn't waste it when it comes to bass. It just comes more naturally.

6. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Back when I was playing more heavily all through the 80s and 90s I played with my fingers roughly 80% of the time.

Now it's more like 50/50.

Really enjoying more pick playing.

Fingerpickingood likes this.
  7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    On the other hand, there others who do care what you enjoy, especially if you're doing it wrong! :eek:o_O:roflmao:

8. Bass was my first instrument but after 3 years of finger playing I went over to using a pick and I only play finger style when questioned if I can or I am bass shopping and forgot a pick.

9. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    You're finally doing it right.

Good for you.

Duder and Fingerpickingood like this.
  10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I use a pick exclusively. Of course, it's a pick that's supposed to sound like fingers, so...
    hw0ge8.

11. mel0dic.bassist

mel0dic.bassist

Jul 9, 2014
    Canada
    I too, am predominantly a pick player. Love it.

I can play well finger-style, buy extreme CTS kills my hand/wrist after a short while.

I like both styles, and each has their own place. I like to have more options/skills/techniques available to me.

I also play guitar amongst other things - self taught after having several years of bass under my belt.

There's just something about a pick'd bass that makes me "eargasm" ;) haha!

12. bobalu

bobalu Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    I really prefer a pick over finger style as well, just love the tone. But I'll play what the song requires (I'm not "picky" Ha!).

StinkFoot and Fingerpickingood like this.
  13. StinkFoot

StinkFoot Guest

Feb 22, 2015
    NYC
    Don't give up. True, you have a handicap, but there is hope. You just have to work a little harder than some other people....

14. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

I mainly use fingers,the girls prefer it that way BOOM BOOM

Lately I've been using picks more,and since I went to a 2mm thick Dunlop MaxGrip I'm getting much better at using one. I now use whatever the song calls for.

It is definitely another sound option that you kinda need to have in your arsenal if playing covers,some songs just have to be picked,either for the sound or for speed reasons. Though I think I am faster with three fingers than with a pick.

15. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I'm terrible with a pick. I've spent time practicing for various studio sessions over the years but all I can do is barely get by. 90% of what I play calls for fingers or slap and I can fake the 10% pretty well with aggressive technique. I will say it still hurts inside to hear some of those GNR tracks as well as some other classic bass tracks that were rendered by the mighty pick.
    I have pick envy...there.

16. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    Pick player here too!!

I keep trying fingers and am getting better at it, and will continue to do so, but no matter how much I try I still get better tone with a pick...... even on quiet mellow sections of songs i use a pick around 70% of the time or more.

17. Fingerpickingood

Fingerpickingood

Oct 30, 2014
    Texas
    Again, I do play well with my fingers. I have that three finger gallop down! I just have a really good wrist and don't see the point in not taking advantage of something I do well.

18. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    Dude try Mick's Picks bass picks. They are my favorite and IMO the best bass picks around

19. Bassdokes

Bassdokes

Feb 15, 2013
    I don't think I've ever seen so much love for the plectrum in this forum before.

20. Fingerpickingood

Fingerpickingood

Oct 30, 2014
    Texas
    I was terrified of being flamed. :bassist:

friendlybass likes this.