1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

After much headache, EMG GZR PJ set has been installed into my Ibanez Mikro

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kaiser Ben, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Kaiser Ben

Kaiser Ben

Nov 18, 2017
    Florida
    I am going to write this out for any other future Ibanez Mikro users looking to get EMG Geezer Butler PJ pickups installed.

1. The jazz pickup in the normal set is a LONG JAZZ (AKA LJ) for a standard sized bass's jazz pickup in the bridge position. The one that you need for your Mikro bridge jazz is a SHORT JAZZ (AKA SJ). The SJ was specifically designed for Spector basses. The P pickups on this set are truly drop in, though. Don't worry about those.

2. In order to get this pickup, you need to order from a place (like this: EMG GZR 'Geezer Butler' PJ 4 String P/J Size Split Coil Set for Spector Bass (Short J pickup) - Best Bass Gear) that specifies that they have the Short Jazz pickup. You can also order straight from EMG themselves and request the short pickup. Eric, the EMG tech support guy, said in the future for anyone wanting to get this, you just specify you are looking for the SHORT JAZZ and they will open up your package and replace it before sending it out. Or you can be like me, not know, and have to pay for shipping for the new pickup after sending the wrong one back :( Take my misfortune and use it for your knowledge.

3. Even with the new SJ pickup, it still wasn't drop in. The ears where the screws go through still didn't fit. You can easily dremel those out a little wider on your bass. I had someone do it for me, but that is all he did. He just dremeled the smallest bit of wood out of the slots in order to fit it in.

4. It already states that you have to, but just in case you don't know, you must use your old long barrel output jack (or get a new one, but as long at it is a long barrel jack). The new one provided for solderless connection is a short jack meant for Fender pick guards. This will NOT fit your bass. It won't be 100% solderless. You will have to cut the tip off the last solderless connection wire and solder the signal and ground onto your barrel jack directly.

5. Not a super big deal, but the pots that come with this set do NOT use push knobs. They are not split shafts. You must get the knobs that have the set screw. I didn't even think of this when ordering new knobs and bought the push ones. Don't be me.

Quick review of the pickups after installing. They are throaty/ballsy/whatever you want to use to describe that kind of sound. They are definitely many steps above the stock ones. They are also dead silent. No feedback or hum through these whatsoever. That is including the typically noisy jazz pickup. They are truly amazing pickups. EMG's customer service wasn't truly amazing unfortunately. At least with this knowledge now, you shouldn't have to deal with customer service, so that shouldn't be an issue. The pickups themselves are absolutely amazing. EMG, not so much. The guy I was talking to didn't even know the short jazz pickup for this set existed. @Slater brought that knowledge to me. I can't thank him enough.

Hopefully this saves some headache in the future. Good luck and have fun! :thumbsup:

Full Bass. EMG Pickups and knobs.

2. OldFunBass

OldFunBass

Nov 5, 2016
    Florida
    Great write-up. Will be very valuable to anyone wanting to make this upgrade.

Kaiser Ben likes this.
  3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Glad I could help, and glad you’re liking the Geezers. :bassist:

I think as long as EMG has gone through the trouble of making the short GZR J pickup, they should make it a little easier to find, identity, and purchase.

Kaiser Ben likes this.
  4. Kaiser Ben

Kaiser Ben

Nov 18, 2017
    Florida
    Yes exactly! Why would you make something available and not mention to anyone, including your workers, that it exists? It should be out there more.

5. At least you love them once you got them installed. It would be far worse if you went to all that trouble & didn't like how they sound.

Kaiser Ben likes this.
  6. Kaiser Ben

Kaiser Ben

Nov 18, 2017
    Florida
    Yes I am very happy I have reached the end of this road finally. Point B was worth it.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  7. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    anyone know a good place to get set screw type knobs, for a smooth shaft pot? thanx, p

8. Kaiser Ben

Kaiser Ben

Nov 18, 2017
    Florida
    I just went to Guitar Center, because there is one close to me. I bought the black metal dome ones with set screws. I bought some online and they came incorrect. China got me good. They all ended up being push knobs with the set screw for looks. The screws didn't have any functionality.

PawleeP likes this.
  9. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Good you got it figured out.

I had the same problem when trying to install the exact same set of pickups in my 2017 weathered black GSRM20B Mikro.

My 2010 black GSRM20 Mikro didn't have this problem though, seems like in these earlier versions of the Mikros the bridge cavity was cut to take a regular sized bridge J pickup.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    Kaiser Ben likes this.
  10. Kaiser Ben

Kaiser Ben

Nov 18, 2017
    Florida
    Ah the man himself! You are the reason I went with these pickups! They sound great. Yea I guess the older ones did. I saw multiple people say it was drop in. I have the 2017 GSRM20B as well, but in the walnut finish. I was so confused when I got the set. ESPECIALLY when the new pickup came and STILL didn't just drop in. The guy I took it to did right on the spot though, so no big deal with the short pickup. Lengthwise it fit. The screw ears didn't though. Only took a quick dremel job.

NoiseNinja likes this.