After some African beats.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Cambass, Nov 2, 2001.

1. I'm after some African music. I think it's African, not the traditional 'men wearing nothing but cod-pieces banging drums that you'd see in a 1950's movie' but modern music. A couple of months ago I was in the car when I heard this excellent stuff, the bass was fantastic, didn't catch the name though. I guess you'd classify it under the 'World Music' banner.

I find this hard to explain!
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I am partial to King Sunny Ade (adu) and the African Beats they are huge in Nigeria. The album I had and lost (long story) had bass drums three guitars and three percussionists one of whom used a talking drum. That may or may not be what you were hearing but if you can find an album hear it.
  3. Guy

Apr 26, 2001
    Washington, DC
    You should check out Fela Kuti. He was a huge star in Africa for a long time. Very funky grooves.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Youssou N'Dor is probably the most well-known African star at the moment. I got his 2000 album "Joko" which has been one of my most-played of the last 18 months. Great tunes, arrangments and bass playing from Habib Faye.

Saw the band live and they were great - African drumming mixed with a funky contemporary style. Habib played a Sadowsky and had a huge bass sound.

Here's a selection of quotes from reviews - "simply one of the world's great voices" "Africa's Artist of the century!".
  5. farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    That stuff is fun, the beat can be much different than rock/funk/pop. Some of my favorite songs aren't by the really well known artists like Fela. Try looking for sub genre compilations in the world music section, that way you know if you particularly like a certain sub-genre, like lingala, soukous or ndombolo.

I found a bunch of soukous (zairean music) on amazon.

Or this site, looks cool although I haven't had time to really look at it . . .
  6. Thanks for the replies, I'll definently check out the world music section in some music stores.

I have another question, it's a long shot but it's in regards to a bassist I saw earlier this year on TV. The Womad festival came here and they had highlights on the box. Anyway there was this, what I presume, African looking guy, who was sensational. I have no idea what band it was but it was in the genre I originally asked about. All I can remember is that he used a Kubicki bass, the one with the unorthodox headstock which is really thin. Would anyone know who this guy is?
  7. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Fela Kuti is the man. Find the "expensive ****" album. (pardon my french, but, that's the name of the album) Great traditional african polyrythems meets curtis mayfeild 1975.
  8. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    While you're at it check out Thomas Mapfumo.

First time I heard it I was in a car and nearly drove off the road...intense