After ten years, I have MY bass again!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KPJ, Jul 27, 2005.

1. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I have owned way too many basses over the years! I have bought, sold and swapped all types. There was one that I had that I had always regretted giving up. I mean always. Missed it like an old lover!

Back in 1995 I was going through a major change in my life. I had finally joined a "real" band, had played my first gig, bought a house and was getting married. My main bass at the time was a very nice MIM Lake Placid Blue Precision Bass. But I was always a sucker for Rickenbackers. Loved the vibe, the look, the sound the feel, everything. McCartney, Geddy Lee, Mike Mills, Chris Squire, Roger Glover and Glenn Hughes on the back of "Deepest Purple", I envied them and their Ricks. So, in April of '95, I was in Mr Music in Allston MA and was checking out the used basses. They had a couple of Ricks, but one, a 1980 Fireglo 4003, with the pickup cover intact, told me to buy it :D ! It was an awesome bass, it felt like it was always mine! For $599 it was! The Rick easily surpassed my PBass as my favorite and took up the majority of my playing time with the swing/blues band that I was in. I recorded our demo tape with it and somewhere (although I can't find it) is a video of me playing a pick up rock gig with it.

But, being a newbie, I guess I didn't appreciate the stuff I had. I started listening to the ignorant people who said "You can't play blues with a Rick" and the other people who thought my amp rig was lacking (BBE 383, Peavey M3000 power amp, custom 2x15) and decided that to upgrade, I had to keep the P and sacrifice the Rick. Looking back, I can't figure out what the hell I was thinking. But that's how I began on what seemed to be an unending parade of swapping gear and trading at a loss.

Well, I'd like to think I'm older and wiser. I am at a comfortable point in my life, I have a decent job, a regular gig, and can actually afford pro level gear. Still, I was kicking myself for the amount of gear that I had gone through over the years. I said to myself, "You loved that Rick, you regret giving it up, why have you screwed around with all of this other crap when you can just get a Rick?" So I did. I went to American Musical Supply, saw they had the Fireglo 4003 in stock, and bought it. I ordered it on July 20 and it was at my door the next afternoon. With great anticipation, I removed the packing boxes and stared at the case. They say that the sense of smell helps to trigger memories, well, one thing that I remember about my old Rick was the smell. It had to have been the finish they used. But that smell stayed with me. I could recall it will. Well, I opened the case, and there was "THAT SMELL". It was almost like I had never been without this bass! It feels like embracing an old friend after a long absence. I know it is not the bass I had before, but I do know that this is MY bass, and that I will be the first and only owner!

So, to all of you out there, don't worry about what other people think. If you are getting the sound that you want and you have a bass that feels right and makes you want to play, think long and hard before giving up what you have for what you think you need! :hyper:

Now, I just need to get a decent digital camera! :D

2. utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    congrats to you man! finally got that rick! i love the fireglo ones.
  3. ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    Sound Design Coordinator, Camel Audio | Designer, Ugo Audio
    congrats! :)

4. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Truer words have never been uttered, congrats on the new old friend
  5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    And congrats ! That's a nice RIC you have there !
    For my part, I got rid of RICs some time back (after owning 4).
    But I'm sincerely happy+++ for you.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    There's nothing like coming home. Just keep it this time and be happy.
  8. zbigniew

Nov 14, 2002
    Northern Iceland
    Ooh, I am almost weeping now :crying: :D

I have somewhat a similar story but not with such a happy ending (yet at least!).

I had a 1973 JetGlo Rick that I sold ten years ago. It was my first bass and a gift from my brother (yes I am a bad person for selling something given to me).
    I didn't like the sound that much that time and I also put my other bass up for sale too, a Blade Jazz Bass. The Rick sold first and I have been kicking myself regularly ever since :bawl: I have been making meager attempts of getting it back by putting ads in the papers but I higly doubt that the one that bought it will ever part with it.

So I guess when I have the money I will take the route you did, buy myself a new JetGlo - oh I look forward to that day :hyper:

But now I am truly happy for you, Congrats :bassist:
  9. Welcome back to the club. :cool:

Aint NOTHING like a Ric.
  10. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Thanks! I do not intend to leave it this time!