1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

after those negative feedbacks, what did he/she expect?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pcake, Mar 16, 2019.

1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i was looking at the negative feedbacks for a music dealer i've used before with good experiences. while this is generally a good seller, many of the negatives (12240 positive feedbacks, 72 neutrals and 143 negative feedbacks) were complaining about shipping speed. one negative feedback caught my eye. this ebayer ordered something to be delivered the day before his/her son's birthday and it came the day after the son's birthday.

considering that the main complaint when complaint there is is slow shipping, why wouldn't he/she order it a couple days earlier? and considering it was during a stormy part of january, it's possible that this time wasn't even the seller's fault. lots of shipments were a day or two late at that point.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    slobake and kohanmike like this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    And which store is this ?

kohanmike likes this.
  3. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I also curious.

4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Anti-tort heathen Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Maybe they're not as feedback conscientious as you. Or maybe they just saw a good price and hoped for the best.

5. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    it's pro audio star, btw - 12240 positive feedbacks, 72 neutrals and 143 negative feedbacks in the last year, my mistake, many regarding shipping or with orders refunded with no explanation. as i recall, when i ordered from them not through ebay, shipping was a little slow, but price was very good and the item was fine.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    MJ5150 likes this.
  6. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Sometimes I get overwhelmed with product/service reviews. It helps if I can at least weed out the things that are not important to me. If the majority of complaints with a company are with shipping and I am not in a hurry, go for it. As @pcake pointed out, if I need it tomorrow, should find another company.

P. Aaron and pcake like this.
  7. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Well at about 98.5% positive reviews, the odds were quite good that the transaction would go well.

However, for something so mission critical and the odds NOT being zero in terms of a failure, planning a little further ahead would have been a good idea in this case.

pcake and LBS-bass like this.
  8. It’s interesting how someone can skew information to support the angle they choose. In this case negatively.

This thread has gone from “150 negative feedbacks”, “slow shipper”, “chronically late shipper”, “150+ complaints” to 98.5% positive reviews pretty quickly.

9. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    the thing is, i never order from any seller with less than 99.6% positive when something is important to me to go right. i check the negatives if there's more than a few in case they tend to be similar - if 75% of the negs say shipping is slow, i figure shipping will be slow. i check the positives and neutrals - usually if a seller has a consistent issue like slow shipping or careless packing, there are some of those in the neutrals.

i have a hobby involving fragile collectibles, and i tend to only order from sellers with 100% or 99.9% positives. the only 2 times i ordered from someone with lower feedbacks - and still above 99% - i ended up with chips in the items. they weren't huge, but that lowers their value and just makes them less shiny. it wasn't that the 2 sellers were trying to rip anyone off - they were just a little more careless than the 100% positive sellers. one hadn't noticed the issue, the other was a poor packer and the chip happened in shipping.

10. Anyone reading your OP would not get a good impression of the seller at all with the negative numbers you’re throwing around, while conveniently omitting the fact that 98.5% of the reviews are positive.

I’m sure that if someone here on TB was describing you on the forum with only your negative traits, while totally ignoring all of your numerous enormously positive traits, that far outweigh your negatives—you wouldn’t be very happy.

Things like this can hurt a business.

11. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i'd like to point out that i didn't mention who the seller was in the original post, which i've now edited a bit. people asked or i wouldn't have mentioned who the seller was at all. what interested me was the buyer, who in the middle of january rainy season ordered something at the very last minute from a seller that has a number of feedbacks citing slow shipping, then complained that it was 2 days late, which isn't that late. heck, a couple months ago UPS held something i ordered at one of their locations for two days that was shipped immediately.

i'd like to reiterate that i've had good experience buying from them myself, and that even the negatives mostly said they received their purchases, and most seemed to have no other issues.

12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Every retailer deals with the same carriers. THAT many negative hits points to something - maybe they are taking orders for things out of stock, or are just slow getting orders out.