Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

After watching Jon Evans play with Tori Amos...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Aug 30, 2003.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    ... I'm about ready to give up this friggin' instrument.

Really. He was *that* good.

Anyone else catch this show on PBS's Soundstage?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I just saw it. He was pretty darn great. Tori Amos has some pretty hard-to-follow song parts as well. I like how the lack of a guitarist put him at the forefront-lots of close-ups of a bassist for once :) The tone of his Lakland was a bit subdued for a fretted-I thought he was playing a fretless at first. I'm going to try to record it when it plays again at 1am.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    My uncle was going on and on about catching Tori Amos on TV and she had a really great bassist. I thought my uncle wouldn't know a great bassist if Jaco came up to him and said, "I'm the world's greatest bass player".

I wish I would have caught it.

4. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Ok. Anyone got any bright ideas on how I can go about procuring a copy of this show? Bearing in mind that I am located on the other side of the planet.<BR>Do PBS sell these performances on DVD/VHS? I couldn't see anything on a quick trawl though their site.

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    We aim to please, so please aim.

WTTW's Soundstage website

I know they sell it, because there was an offer at the end of the show. Surf this site - you may need to email them. If all else fails, I could buy it here and ship it to you - email me if you want to try that.

6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  7. discoboo

discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    saw tori amos last night. this was my third show, second with the band and i dig the bass player. he's got to hold all that together, since the drummer hardly ever plays a regular beat and tori is manic on the piano. i was thinking what a cool gig that would be...

8. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Awesome...I really wanted to go to that show, but didn't have the money. I love Ben Folds and Tori Amos so I definatly would of liked it. Ben Folds puts on a good show, so I kwon it was awesome.

9. I enjoyed Evans playing with Tori Amos. Tori writes some good tunes but I was hoping she would stretch out on some piano improv. She sticks to some good rhythms but not much more.

I also saw Ben Harper and band somewhere on TV and really enjoyed their bassist. Is his name Nelson?

-Roger

10. I saw Tori Amos and some guy playing a Lakland with a maple board about six months ago on PBS; must be the same show. I didn't get the bass player's name then, but, I remember I was impressed.

Mike

11. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    that'll be Juan Nelson
    There's been some good discussions on him here

search

12. waxlabltabler

waxlabltabler

Aug 24, 2002
    Ohio
    Anybody know where I could find an electronic reproduction of this performance?

13. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Which one?

14. waxlabltabler

waxlabltabler

Aug 24, 2002
    Ohio
    The PBS one, or any good to decent quality video of Jon Evans.

15. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    There's also Glastonbury festival TV gig from late 90's(IIRC) floating around the web that has some cool stuff, you should be able to find quite easily with P2P.

16. waxlabltabler

waxlabltabler

Aug 24, 2002
    Ohio
    Thanks for helping me out :). I assume he's playing with Tori? Is there any more info you can give about the file? (filename, songs?) I'm going to check Kazaa for it.

17. E-rock

E-rock

Mar 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Me and Tori...

18. Got to see a TV thing with Tori, the bassist was playing a beautiful blue stained Lakland.

His technique and tone were snazzy.

Of course it was hard to concenrate on anything other than Tori, I kinda dig her ;) and her music (and her 'hump the piano bench' piano playing :D )

19. bleepo

bleepo

Feb 6, 2003
    Calgary
    i went with the wife a couple years back... I wasn't into it until i got there. Both the bassist and the drummer blew me away.