Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

After years....my GK400-IV let me down

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nysurf2772, Sep 4, 2005.

1. nysurf2772

nysurf2772

Jun 20, 2005
    Strange incident at my gig last night......my previously bulletproof GK-400-III cut out in the middle of a gig last night......

all I got was the red light.......works fine now.......I assume that is was the extremely hot stage that triggered the overheating protect circuit......

I was running it into an 8ohm 15inch cab and since it was not miked up I was running it at nearly full power (say everything on "7")

I guess I need more headroom and better cooling

Thank God I had my Sansamp to run direct!!!!!

2. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I bought a clamp on fan, around $15, completely silent, 2 speeds. Works great with my non fanned Workingman 300. You might also check out your speaker cord.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    shoot an email to gene@gallien.com and explain your situation. He could probably tell you exactly what it is, though I think you're on the right path.

4. Do you have it in a rack? And if so is it a 3space rack ?

5. nysurf2772

nysurf2772

Jun 20, 2005
    bottom space in a rack bag....i'm not sure if it's 3 space, but there is at least as much room left over as is used for the GK.....

I'm thinking that I somehow had something in the rack bag that covered up the cooling vents or something....or it was just really really hot (I swear I lost 5lbs of water in a 45 minute set)

regardless...the band (and my wife) want me to get a new amp now, so I guess things worked out ok :D

hmmmmm....now what?

6. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    man, that amp must have been pumping!!!!

the loudest ive gotten my mine is the master on about 8 but the pre about 4...

crickey!!! :)

7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

1: Need to know what genre of music you play.

2: Need to know the size of venues you are going to play in the furture. Will all of PA support (prob not)?

3: How much mula you got to spend?

8. nysurf2772

nysurf2772

Jun 20, 2005
    I usually don't drive the amp so much, but this gig didn't have good PA support.....

I play indie rock and we have a loud drummer but the rest of us are not all that loud----Rhodes Piano (through the PA) and guitar through a Fender HotRod 1-12in.....

I've never had any real problems being loud through my 1-15in cab......

I come to terms with the fact that 90% of my tone is in my Sansamp pedal and Jazz bass.......my amp is almost a back up.....

I'm thinking I'll upgrade my GK-400-III to something newer and/or more powerfull.....

I'm also getting rid of an old Eden WT-300----nice tone, but I don't like the compressor....

9. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    If your tone is in your Sans I would look at getting a power amp and running the sans through that

10. +1

11. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    +2 :D

12. Some of the 400RB-III's had a fan issue. Make sure your fan is coming on when it gets warm. If not. Contact GK and have it fixed.

13. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    More power, I say!!!

GK is very affordable... so why not?

14. nysurf2772

nysurf2772

Jun 20, 2005
    thanks all!

I'm gonna see if the fan is coming on properly.....

I like having the flexibility of having a full bass amp (not just a power amp) and the sansamp pedal....lots of flexibility

otherwise, I've always had good luck with GK stuff......not really the most sexy cool gear, but rock-solid well designed and generally trouble free.....I might just use this as an excuse for a bit more power and a new amp!