1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

After years of "just farting around"...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by need4mospd, Mar 27, 2006.

1. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    I've got my first gig this Friday! After spending 6 years watching my bass sit in the corner and collect dust, I finally got the time to pick it up a few months ago. I joined a band that looked like a great fit and we're already booked for two hours of music! A thousand thank yous to talkbass.com for helping me get back on my feet.

I can't wait!

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Congrats! :)

3. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    CONGRATULATIONS!!! How exciting! I wanna play-by-play...we want to hear all bout it!

Cherie :)

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Cool, a Texan thread... :D

5. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    congrats, keep it up.

6. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I'm so jealous...I want a band so bad...

7. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    Man...that's a GREAT feeling isn't it??? I have been doing the same thing...only for me, the wait was for 17 years! Now I can't wait to gig any chance I get! Have fun and rock out...

A fellow Texan....

Wayne
    aka FBA

8. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I hear ya bro....for me it was 44 years of age before i ever played before a crowd just 2 weeks ago and 25 + years since i was in a band and that was a crap high school thing that was well...crap...hardly a band....after noodling around on guitar for 30+ years and bass for 10+ i got serious 3 years ago and took up bass full time and put guitar away. I joined a real band for the first time 9 months ago and we played out for the first time as i said two weeks ago...we have another gig in two more weeks and i'm stoked....it gets in your blood...good luck man and glad to see you have joined the ranks of us newbies who got to pop the gig cherry this year....dont sweat it and have fun...by the way we need details of the big show man ....details please!:bassist:

9. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    The gig this Friday is just a local bar gig to get our feet wet. We're not expecting many people there, and we're not getting paid. This is mainly a preperation gig for our first paid gig on April 15th. :hyper:

We've got a practice tomorrow to put the "final touch" to it all. I'll give an update after the gig!

10. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Paid or not paid its a gig and its all good its all about the music and our love of it......performing it for others and enjoying the reaction and the vibe of playing live music creates is worth it to me and makes the time doing it priceless.

11. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    CONGRATS!!!! I remember my first gig......you'll have a blast!. Don't forget to put it on the TalkBass Gig Calendar, so everyone here can see it.

12. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Cool...where is that at?

13. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    UPDATE:

Bad news - I used the other bass player's horrible sounding rig

I'm not sure if it's just because I'm used to my cleaner tone I get with my Ampeg setup, but the GK Backline 600 with Crate cabinets (4x10 and 1x15) sounded terrible to me. Maybe I just needed to play with the settings some more.

Good news - We rocked anyways! :bassist:

It was a small crowd at about 20-25 people, but they seemed very interested in our original music! We're hoping to get some videos posted on our website soon.

Thanks for the support again TB!

14. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    ...and that's why I ALWAYS bring my own gear... even if theres a rig there already. I've found that I play with more confidence because I know I can dial up my tone....plus I spent mucho $ (relatively speaking), so I want to get me money's worth.

All that aside, I'm glad you rocked and had a good time!!!

15. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    Well I did bring my stuff, but the stage wasn't very big and the other bass player got us the gig there so I figured I'd just use his. I didn't realize it sounded that bad til after we started playing. In hindsight, I should have just hauled mine in and stood on top of it or something. :D

16. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA

Yeah, then you have a monstrously tall lookin' stack ;)