Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aftermarket bridge w/ mutes

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I found myself unable to afford a new bass, but with my upcoming birthday (Monday) and the pending Christmas season have left me with opportunities to, well, hotrod my bass. I had enough for new pickups (Seymour Duncan Hot for P and Hot for J) last monday and an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp for my birthday. My choice for the next piece in the puzzle is a bridge for Christmas. I was planning on getting a Leo Quann Badass II, but my teacher was telling me about how the old P-basses had these mutes you could bring up or something under the strings and with flatwounds, you could get it to sound less like an electric and more like an upright. The way he explained it, it soudned like the mutes were a part of the bridge and you brought them up with some kind of lever or something. Now, obviously this isn't done anymore (except maybe on that custom shop reissue), but there HAS to be a company that's recreated this, right? Anyone know/willing to share the info?

2. Fodera has string mutes now, but from the sounds of what you are doing, you are heading in the completely opposite direction.

Bad Ass II's add punch and clarity and treble.

Seymour Duncan pickups tend to be of a "hotter" variety.

Adding a preamp won't "deaden" the sound any more.

The best way is to get some foam, turn your J-pickup completely off, turn your tone knob to 1/2 or less, put the foam between your J-pickup and your bridge, and play over the end of the neck.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I just want to be able to utilize the P pickup as a means towards sounding more like an upright in addition to the other great sounds I'll be able to get, and it seems like string mutes'd be a good way to go about it.

What kind of foam would you reccomend?

4. I'd say maybe something like closed cell foam...but that depends on what you want to use.

5. Here's what your teacher was talking about.

[​IMG]

This one.
    [​IMG]

Players like Bob Babbit, James Jamerson, Carol Kaye and many other old studio pro's use a piece of felt(pick players) above the bridge to mute out unwanted overtones and foam (finger players) under the strings for the same reasons.

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. An Ovation Magnum!! WOO! Hehe.

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Ooooo, those bassmutes are quite a sweet deal! Any idea on the price for a 4 string chrome one?

8. the www.bassmutes.com ones are expensive. something like $150 (don't quote me on this). i've been using a chunk of mousepad just a little bit longer than the width of the strings, and about 2.5-3" wide. i fold it in half and put it under the strings right against the bridge.

cheap and effective. works with any bridge. if you want the badass II, get it, and you can still have adjustable mutes for free...well, free if you have an old mouse pad lying around.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Kitchen sponge :)