Aftermarket graphite necks

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mark beem, Oct 26, 2002.

1. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Aside from Moses, does anyone know of a manufacturer that builds and sell graphite, fretted / fretless, 4 / 5 / 6 string necks for either replacement or to builders.
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

3. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Thanks... What I was actually looking for was more a made to order type manufacturer more than a name brand replacement. Similar to the way moses makes "generic" 4, 5, & 6 string necks..
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Is there any particular reason you want to find something other than Moses? I mean some flaw or something you don't like about them? I'm just asking because Fodera offers the NYC Empire with a Moses neck and I was considering contacting them about getting an NYC neck to retrofit on my NYC down the line. Just want to know though if someone has negative feedback about them.

brad cook
  5. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Price actually... I have a bass with a Moses neck, and I love it. I would like to put one on the bass Im building, but they're very expensive.
  6. Crazykiwi

Sep 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I investigated commissioning a custom graphite neck on a couple of occaisions over the years. Although the materials are relatively inexpensive, the killer is in the cost of developing flawless molds.

If you can find someone willing to undertake making you a custom mold, you may find the process prohibitively expensive, like I did.
  7. mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    Moses can apparently do so small customizations. I have recently contacted them about a custom cut for a neck heel, and Steve Mosher indicated that they may be able to accomodate my change. They apparently have a variety of neck blanks that might suit a custom project. At this stage, Steve has been very responsive to my questions. It is relatively expensive, however. For instance, in my case, I would probably have to ship the body to ensure that the neck is tailored to the neck pocket. I recommend emailing them. I also recommend browsing talkbass for some reviews of Moses as there have been some informative posts.