Aftermarket helical planer head!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Hambone, Mar 4, 2005.

1. After we were talking about this and I was staring at this 8" Belsaw planer/jointer I have here in the shop getting ready to sell, I came across this on ebay...

The price is quite steep but with most of the parts already here, it would surely beat the 2-3 grand the usual helicals cost. I just wonder if I could adapt it to my machine. :eyebrow:
  2. teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Do you think you would use it enough to justify the high price? It looks pretty industrial. You'd never have to worry about tear out, though!

3. Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Byrd Tool ( makes helical heads for planers and jointers. IMO, their design looks superior to the one on eBay because the knives are set at a skew instead of straight on. The price for a 6" head is about $350. The inserts are carbide and are ground to a slight radius also. All four edges are sharpened.
  4. Tdog

May 18, 2004
    I've been to this guy's shop. If you are within driving distance of Beaver Falls PA, you have to see this store....It is an old bank building with 5 floors of JUNK!!!!! The owner doesn't even know what some of his inventory is! He does have some good stuff here and there, but if it is of any value, it is usually far overpriced. If you love digging around old tools and bins of who knows what, pack a lunch and check this place out.....Hamilton Tools. .......BTW The owner is a character.....if you ask him for a "scratch and dent" tool box, he might just scratch and dent one for you!
  5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Wow 'bone yours is 8" mine is only 6" I'm envoius. :D