Aftermarket J-Pup to match stock Fender PJ Deluxe MIM P-Pup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by shauryamanga, Feb 26, 2018.

1. shauryamanga

shauryamanga

May 17, 2009
    India
    Hey I'm looking for recommendations for a bridge pickup for my Fender MIM PJ Deluxe.
    I play Heavy/Desert Rock and tend to use OD/Fuzz [Boss ODB-3 & EHX Bass Big Muff] to a considerable amount. There's a lot of clean playing involved as well.

Looking for something that isn't super expensive as I live in India and shipping+customs is almost as much as the pickup itself. [Eg: a $65 pup costs me $135 landed.]

1. Are there any pickups that pair well with the stock P in my bass. I can't seem to find a 'tone profile' for the stock pups and therefore am not being able to decide based on EQ.

2. Do PJs only sound good in "matched" pairs or can some cross-pairing strike gold as well?

3. For OD/Fuzz type sounds should I be looking at a a mid boosted pickup like the Jazz Hot or a mid scooped pickup like the Quarter Pounder?
    Ever since my J pickup stopped functioning I've noticed a lack in definition and cut through in my jams. To compensate I'm having to turn my High Mids on the amp and Treble Boost on the pedals but that usually results in fizzy mud.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  2. shauryamanga

shauryamanga

May 17, 2009
    India
    Hey
    Can someone recommend some pickups please?

3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Since the stock pickup that stopped functioning was noiseless, and you would like to keep the cost down, I would recommend something from Dimarzio, like the Area J DP248, Ultra Jazz DP148, or the Model J DP123.

4. shauryamanga

shauryamanga

May 17, 2009
    India
    Thanks for the recommendations!
    Does only DiMarzio make noiseless?

5. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Many pickup manufacturers make noiseless Jazz Bass pickups, but Dimarzios are one of the least expensive, and still very good.
    Here’s a list of popular pickup manufacturers that offer noiseless Jazz Bass pickups: Aguilar, Bartolini, Delano, Dimarzio, Fender, Lindy Fralin, Seymour Duncan, Nordstrand, and I’m sure there are more...

Zoobiedood likes this.
  6. shauryamanga

shauryamanga

May 17, 2009
    India
    Thanks Slater! Went ahead and ordered the P+J set by DiMarzio.
    Will update once they're installed.

Slater likes this.
  7. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    :thumbsup:

8. shauryamanga

shauryamanga

May 17, 2009
    India
    Closing the loop here.
    This is a 30 day review of the DiMarzio P+J set and they are amazing. Took a little overall height setting and individual pole setting (great feature BTW) to get them sounding "just right" in terms of even volume across both pickups and all 4 strings but MAN OH MAN. THESE SOUND GREAT. Completely transformed my bass tone (for the better).

Running these through
    Boss Noise Suppressor > MXR Bass Preamp > MXR Studio Compressor > EHX Bass Big Muff Pi > Boss ODB-3
    and the tone is monstrous. Perfect for my Desert Rock band.

Thanks everyone for the help and support!
    Cheers =)

two fingers likes this.
  9. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    What does Desert Rock sound like?

10. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Desert Rock/Stoner Rock. Kyuss, Masters Of Reality, Queens Of The Stone Age, Fu Manchu...

11. shauryamanga

shauryamanga

May 17, 2009
    India
    What bigtone23 said plus you NEED to check out the Truckfighters. They are the bomb. Gravity X is a great place to start.