1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aftermarket jazz pickups suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RS, Nov 29, 2006.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I am specifically looking for a good sounding set the that are low end heavy and will tame the high end (without sounding too processed).

Recommendations?

Also, anyone have a link to that old BP article "the jazz bass pup shootout"?

2. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I love dimarzio ultra-jazzes. They're humbucking, so theyre nice and fat but still put out a nice mwah on my fretless when I want it.

3. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I have ultra jazzes in an MIM jazz. They are okay- not a drastic improvement. Could just be the bass.

4. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Seymour Duncan Basslines pickups are great. I like the Hots single coil SJB-2 or humbucking STK-J2.

I also really dug the DiMarzio Model J set.

5. gingerbeer

gingerbeer

Jan 9, 2005
    you have a ton of options or you have the originals .i have the fender "C.S." and flatwound strings .can't be more happy .

6. If you have a good onboard preamp, Bartolinis would be my recommendation.

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Based on what I've read, both here and in BP, I'd say Nordstrand NJ4SE would be a good bet. I'd love to have another J to try a set of those. The Duncan SJB-2 Hot recommendation is probably good too. I've used the Hot for P-bass, and the overwinding there produces the effect you want: heavier low end with rolled off highs, and an organic vintage-based tone. I would expect the Hot for J to accomplish the same thing. You could also order an overwound set from Lindy Fralin, which I'd strongly recommend if you like maximum growl.