1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

aftermarket necks?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Charlzm, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Charlzm

Charlzm Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    REWRITTEN FOR CLARITY ON DECEMBER 4, 2018

I am looking for a new 20 fret neck for a Frankenbass I have.

Since Moses stopped making composite necks recently, it looks like it will be a wooden neck.

I see that Kiesel and Warmoth both have custom neck options, but is there any other place that offers a customizable neck? I have looked at USA Custom Guitars website but have no experience with them and their customizing tool doesn't have a lot of options. Mighty Mite's and AllParts' offerings are very standard and are not what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  2. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Charlzm likes this.
  3. Charlzm

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
  4. Did you try warmoth.com?

5. Charlzm

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA

6. call warmoth and ask.

7. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The Warmoth necks are superb, and priced accordingly. The Superbass option is either steel or CF rods, given the choice I’d do CF, it’s lighter and just as strong. My Warmoth Frankenjazz is the most stable wood neck I own. The Carvin/Keisel necks are excellent if you want a paddle headstock you can carve yourself if you don’t like all the standard Fender style shapes. What did you have in mind?
    Bolt On Bass Neck Blanks | KieselGuitars.com

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Charlzm likes this.
  8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i've had only positive experiences (fretless) with allparts and mightymite. but since you aren't looking at those, you might take a look on ebay (new or used). also: i recently purchased a fretless paddle neck from eden guitars = really well made, imminently affordable (read cheap!), stable and good looking. their inventory changes regularly so offerings vary from month to month, but they sell quality necks. good luck finding the right neck. :thumbsup:

9. What do you want to customize?

10. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Warmoth necks are great, so are Allparts necks

11. Charlzm

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Didn't know Eden sold necks. Will look into it! Thanks!

JRA likes this.
  12. Charlzm

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thansk to everyone who has chimed in.

I guess I'm still not being clear, so let me try again.

BESIDES Kiesel, Warmoth, All Parts, Mighty Mite, Eden and Status, has anyone found another source for bass necks?

13. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Five or ten years ago, some of us small Luthiers would make up one-off custom necks for customers like you. I did several hundred custom necks for individuals over the years. But I stopped and don't do them any more. And all of the Luthiers I work with, who used to, have also stopped. I don't know of anyone around this area (southern California) who makes custom necks any more. The larger companies you've listed are about it.

Charlzm likes this.
  14. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    I saw a guy in a lame punk band about fifteen years ago - had a knockoff candy-apple red precision bass, with a gorgeous Carl Thompson neck. He said he didn't know what it was - but wouldn't sell it to me either.

15. pnutz

pnutz Supporting Member

ouch, no bueno.

basically kinda in the same boat as the o.p.

i had a custom neck built to my specs a few years ago that i'd liked 'cloned' and mated to my bass body. don't think most of the big names listed above do custom specs for a custom build.

if anyone does have a suggestion on luthiers or other options (in the continental US) that still dabbles in custom neck work, i'd appreciate a head's up. thanks!