aftermarket piezo bridges

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nixrick, Aug 19, 2000.

1. nixrick

Aug 12, 2000
    Aftermarket piezo bridges...where can i get em, and who makes em? I want them to get more natural tone outta my cheezy samick fretless, it sounds like every cheap pbass copy ever made with it's pj setup. Ideally i'd like the tone Michael Manring gets (without spending 8 grand, thanx).
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    ABM in Germany is the only company I know that sells aftermarket piezo bridges to the general public. I know that piezos are currently an option on standard Stingrays and Foderas, and other boutiques (eg. Azola, e.s.h., F bass) offer them as options on certain models. I'm not sure if they'll sell the bridges alone.

Keep in mind that Manring's sound is the result of more than a couple of piezos; in my experience, piezos alone just sound plain *bad*.
  3. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Wilkinson also makes a piezo bridge (Rick Turner uses Wilkinson with Refernce piezo pickups). I'm sure there are others as well. Please note that installation is a bit tricky, and should be done by someone who knows what he is doing. Also, you will need a pre-amp designed to work with piezos.

As far as the sound is concerned, a good piezo is perfectly fine on it's own, though I usually prefer to blend in a bit of the magnetic pickup sound.